Are you a single traveller? There are several coach holidays for single travellers. Here are the main 3 types of coach holidays available;
How To Go On a Coach Holiday If You Are Single
As a single traveller you have three main options when it comes to coach holidays. There are dedicated single traveller coach holiday companies that just cater for single/solo travellers. There are regular coach holidays where a minority of the travellers with be single amongst the group. Some companies are now specific departure dates within their holiday program for single travellers i.e. everyone on board will be single/solo travellers.
If you are not sure which option suits you best check out this guide and find the perfect coach holiday for you.
Check out this guide below to learn more about the options of you are a single traveller looking to go on a coach holiday, and find your perfect trip.
1. Coach Holidays for Single Travellers – What Type of Holiday?
When it comes to coach holidays for single travellers there are a couple of options to consider.
2. Coach Holidays for Single Travellers
These holidays are geared solely towards single travellers. That means everyone else on the holiday is a single traveller too.
There are no single supplements to pay and all the rooms are single rooms.
Just You has coach holidays for single travellers all over the world. They have chauffeur pick ups, tour managers and everything else you would expect on a coach holiday. Their prices are competitive when compared to the single supplements that you would have to pay with some other coach holiday operators.
Go Singles is another single traveller operator. They specialise in holidays for those over 50. Again there are no single supplements. They have a different range of destinations available, including India, Bhutan and Nepal. Again prices are competitive.
3. Single Travellers As Part of a Coach Holiday Group
Many coach holiday operators will have an allowance in each departure date for a number of single travellers. Sometimes there can be a single supplement to pay, sometimes not. This will depend on the contract the holiday operator has negotiated with each accommodation provider.
For example an company I worked with had 6 single places available on each tour, supplement free. Each group was around 45 travellers.
To give an example. Saga Holidays has a tour departing in May to the Italian Lakes. Travellers can book as two sharing a room for £1599 per person. Single travellers can book this tour for £1779 per person. This makes the single supplement for the whole trip £180. This means there is likely a limited number of places available for single travellers on this departure date.
They also have a tour to Southern Italy and Sicily. This is available for £1369 per person sharing a room and the price is the same for single travellers. That means there is no single supplement at all on most of their departure dates. This means that the group will be made up of a mix of single travellers and people travelling with partners, wives, husbands, friends etc.
4. Coach Holiday Companies Offering Single Only Departure Dates
As demographics change by having more single households, so holidays are changing to reflect this. This means that many coach holiday operators are now offering the option of single traveller only departure dates on their tours. This means that for a particular departure all travellers will be single travellers, and all accommodation single rooms.
To take another example from SAGA. They offer a Southern Italy and Sicily tour purely for single travellers. This means that everyone going on the tour will be staying in their own single room. The price is from £1689 per person. There is only 1 departure date avaiable for 2022.
5. Coach Holidays for Single Travellers – Tours with Couples and Singles
For over 25 years I have taken coach holidays all over the world as a Tour Manager.
I have never taken a group of single travellers away, and have never worked for a company that does purely single traveller holidays. My experience has always been of groups which comprise the majority of travellers sharing a room alongwith a smaller number of single travellers within the group.
Having asked single travellers about their experiences here is what they have said about these types of holidays;
Most of the single travellers I have met found the thought of travelling with a large group of other single travellers a bit overwhelming. For some this was because they were independent and happy to be on their own during the day, and perhaps join in with people for meals. For others it was because they felt they were less ‘exposed’ travelling within a mixed group. They liked the company of others for certain parts of the day, but were equally happy on their own.
Some single travellers felt there was less pressure to join up with other singles in such a group.
Some of the travellers I met on these holidays met as single travellers on a group tour and then started travelling together. I also met some groups who had met on a tour in a similar way i.e. they hadn’t known each other before they travelled together the first time.
7. What to Expect as a Single Traveller on a Coach Holiday
The groups I travelled with always knew that a number of the travellers within their group would be on their own. The vast majority of these single travellers were invited along by other travellers at some point in the tour to join them. This could be for meals, for activities, for free time.
Equally, people were happy if single travellers wanted to be on their own. In this way they had the option to do whatever suited them with little pressure either way.
As a Tour Manager I have also invited single travellers to join me at various times. For touring holidays this often involved hosting a table of single travellers and helping to introduce them to each other and the rest of the group. It felt great to see these people form their own connections and friendships during the tour.
That said, there shouldn’t be an expectation that a Tour Manager is there to accompany a single traveller. While any Tour Manager will do the best they can to help any traveller, they also have to balance the demands of the whole group.
8. Coach Holidays for Single Travellers – The Odd Few Problems
In 25 years I can probably count on 1 hand the number of times there has been any problems with single travellers on group tours.
Here are two of those experiences on tour;
A single traveller that wanted to spend all their time with one particular couple. The couple tried being polite in requests for some time on their own, and eventually had to ask me to step in. The problem was really due to a lack of awareness by the single traveller.
A single traveller being unable to manage the holiday on her own. This was because she wasn’t physically fit enough to manage the tour. Being single meant she had to rely on me as the Tour Manager, the driver and other passengers to help her with things like luggage, hand luggage, getting on and off the coach and the excursions.
These problems were dealt with and worked round so they didn’t impact anyone’s holiday really.
Generally single travellers are independent enough to enjoy doing their own thing and perhaps catching up with the rest of the group at meal times.
9. Coach Holidays for Single Travellers – The Most Common Issue
The number issue I have seen single travellers experience on coach holidays is that they have decided to share a room with another traveller, to save the single supplement.
This has meant people that don’t know each other that well have ended up travelling together.
Sometimes the people have known each other but being together all day and all night has just stretched their relationship to breaking point.
Some holiday companies allow single travellers to pay a lower rate if they agree to share a room with a fellow traveller of the same sex. This means they haven’t met until they arrive on the tour together.
Thankfully, given that single supplements have greatly reduced or in many cases disappeared these issues should be minimised.
If you are considering sharing a room with someone to save any sort of supplement then I would urge you to strongly consider whether the saving is really worth it.
As a Tour Manager I have had to arrange last minute single rooms for guests during the tour. This can be costly to arrange with no guarantee so stressful for everyone involved.
I have also had to move customers to opposite parts of the coach when their relationship has deteriorated as a result of sharing a room. Sometimes they have still had to share a room together which must have made a very difficult end and start to each day.
Some travellers have felt pressured to do or not do certain activities based on what their room mate wants to do. This can make for a very stressful experience, especially if one person wants to avoid any sort of conflict.
As a Tour Manager I have had to step in and try to help and calm these situations. It can be very difficult, with limited options to help in such situations.
10. Coach Holidays for Single Travellers – 3 Things to Consider;
If you are considering taking a coach holiday as a single traveller then think about the following;
- Do you want to travel with a group made up of entirely other single travellers?
- Would you prefer to travel with a mixed group of travellers i.e. couples, partners, friends and singles?
- If you are considering sharing a room to save a single supplement what is the cost saving? Have you shared your personal space with someone in such a way before? If not how are you going to manage expectations, boundaries and sharing the space?
Taking a coach holiday as a single traveller can be a great way to get the best of both worlds. The freedom to explore on your own, support from being on an organised tour, and the option to join in with others if you choose to.
Why not check out your options today?
11. Coach Holiday Companies
Titan Travel has a wide range of holidays all over the world.
SAGA Holidays specialise in holidays for the over 50’s
Travelsphere has wide range of holidays
If you have found this article about coach holidays for single travellers you might also like;
10 Things You Need to Know About Coach Holidays – Essential tips to know before you book
If you are looking for more help to find your perfect coach holiday check out my Coach Holiday Expert page
- Coach Holidays & Covid in Scotland – 2022 UpdateCoach holidays & Covid in Scotland – somehow we are still talking about it in 2022 🙁 It’s shaping up to be a very busy year here in Scotland which is great, but there are still some Covid points to consider and be aware of. I’ve just been on my first trip of the year,… Read More »Coach Holidays & Covid in Scotland – 2022 Update
- Scottish Highlands Railway Holiday – Detailed Review With Helpful Hints & TipsAre you interested in a Scottish Highlands Railways holiday? Well fabulous! Check out this in depth review of one of the most popular Scottish Highlands Railways holiday. This tour has run for many years so is well established. It includes; Regional flights from the UK to Edinburgh 4 nights half board accommodation in a Highland… Read More »Scottish Highlands Railway Holiday – Detailed Review With Helpful Hints & Tips
- The Coach Holiday Driver – An Essential Part of a Great Coach HolidayHave you ever wondered what a coach holiday driver does? Over the years I have worked with more than 100 coach drivers, all over the world. Let’s start with what the role of a coach driver actually is. What Is the Role of a Coach Driver? The coach driver is responsible for driving the coach… Read More »The Coach Holiday Driver – An Essential Part of a Great Coach Holiday
- Coach Holidays for Single Travellers – 3 Key Things to KnowAre you a single traveller? There are several coach holidays for single travellers. Here are the main 3 types of coach holidays available; How To Go On a Coach Holiday If You Are Single As a single traveller you have three main options when it comes to coach holidays. There are dedicated single traveller coach… Read More »Coach Holidays for Single Travellers – 3 Key Things to Know
- Douro River Cruise Review: All You Need to Know About This Stunning TripAre you thinking of taking a Douro river cruise? It’s a gorgeous region of Portugal. I’m lucky enough to have taken this cruise, so before we jump in here’s why I think the Douro is a great cruising option; Is the Douro Valley Worth Visiting? Absolutely! The Douro Valley is awash with stunning scenery. From… Read More »Douro River Cruise Review: All You Need to Know About This Stunning Trip
- The Top 4 Coach Holiday Myths Busted!Have you ever considered a coach holiday? There are many coach holiday myths about this type of holiday. Having spent 25 years taking coach holidays all over the world as a Tour Manager I’m here to help bust some of the most common coach holiday myths. Let’s crack on! Coach Holiday Myths – Let’s Get… Read More »The Top 4 Coach Holiday Myths Busted!
- What a Coach Holiday Tour Manager Really Does – It’s Alot!Have you ever wondered what a coach holiday tour manager really does? It might seem like a perfect holiday job but it is far from that. It’s a wide reaching, varied and challenging role. First we need to know a bit more about what a Tour Manager actually is. What Is a Coach Holiday Tour… Read More »What a Coach Holiday Tour Manager Really Does – It’s Alot!
- Highland Coach Holiday – A Lovely Way to Discover the HighlandsAre you looking for a Highland coach holiday? One which is based in Inverness with trips out to the surrounding Highlands? A Highland coach holiday which you can join by plane, train or drive yourself? Great – because SAGA have a new holiday for 2021 called the ‘Scottish Highlands Escape’. Having spent 25 years taking… Read More »Highland Coach Holiday – A Lovely Way to Discover the Highlands
- Coach Holiday TrendsInterested in coach holidays? Want to learn about some exciting coach holiday trends and see what changes might stick around? I’ve spent over 25 years working as a coach holiday Tour Manager, taking coach holidays all over the world. It’s a great way to travel and it’s an industry that is always changing and adapting.… Read More »Coach Holiday Trends
- Coach Holiday Hacks10 Coach Holiday Hacks based on over 25 years taking coach holidays all over the world. Some hacks I have gleaned from my guests and some are my own. They will help you travel like a Coach Holiday Expert
- Coach Holiday Company Differences – 4 Key Things to KnowEvery considered coach holiday company differences when thinking of booking? There are big differences between smaller and larger coach holidays and these can have an impact on all aspects of the coach holiday experience. In this article I look at 4 main coach holiday company differences you consider when choosing a coach holiday company. Read… Read More »Coach Holiday Company Differences – 4 Key Things to Know
- Don’t Avoid a Coach Holiday – 6 Common Issues & How to Overcome ThemHave you heard lots of bad things about coach holidays? As a result have you tended to avoid a coach holiday as an option for your travels? In this article I want to discuss some of the most common issues I have experienced over my 25 year career as a coach holiday tour manager. Instead… Read More »Don’t Avoid a Coach Holiday – 6 Common Issues & How to Overcome Them
- Coach Trip Terminology – What Does an Orientation Tour Really Mean?Have you seen the phrase ‘orientation tour’ and wondered what this coach trip terminology actually means? Do you know what the difference is between a orientation tour and a guided tour? There are some key differences you need to know about. Before we look at that let’s first cover what an orientation tour is. What… Read More »Coach Trip Terminology – What Does an Orientation Tour Really Mean?
- Coach Trips – 10 Things You Absolutely Need to Know Before You BookHaving spent 25 years taking coach tour trips all over the world, as a Tour Manager, I have seen my guests experience all sorts of problems and issues. Many of those issues could have been prevented completely – saving guests money and frustration as a result. This list is based on the 10 most common issues… Read More »Coach Trips – 10 Things You Absolutely Need to Know Before You Book
- Australia Tours: 3 Top Trips Compared – Find Your Ideal OneAre you looking for Australia Tours from the UK? Considering the trip of a lifetime to this wonderful country? Great! Then I have something that might help finding your perfect tour a little easier. I’ve compared Australia tours from 4 of the biggest operators, giving you detailed information on their itinerary to help you find… Read More »Australia Tours: 3 Top Trips Compared – Find Your Ideal One
- Azores Island Hopping – In Depth Review of Fantastic Great Value TourLooking for An Azores Island Hopping Holiday? Do you want inside tips and information about the itinerary from someone who has been? Great! You are in the exactly the right place. I have taken 5 or 6 British groups on holidays to the Azores Island Hopping and it is somewhere I really enjoy visiting. If… Read More »Azores Island Hopping – In Depth Review of Fantastic Great Value Tour
- 9 Reasons To Choose A Coach Holiday – By Real TravellersI am lucky to have spent over 25 years taking coach holidays all over the world. In my role as a coach holiday Tour Manager I’ve met thousands of lovely passengers. They have told me the reasons they have chosen to take a coach holiday. Before we jump into my guests reason for choosing this… Read More »9 Reasons To Choose A Coach Holiday – By Real Travellers
- Coach Holidays and Covid19 – Potential Holiday ImpactsDo you want to understand more about coach holidays and Covid19 impacts? As the travel industry as a whole has been severaly impacted by Covid19 let’s look at coach holidays and Covid19 impacts – as there may be some things you hadn’t considered. Airlines have already been promoting what they are going to do to… Read More »Coach Holidays and Covid19 – Potential Holiday Impacts