Is Threave Gardens Worth Visiting?
Yes Threave Gardens is well worth a visit. This national bat reserve has some lovely gardens, interesting features and a lovely cafe and visitor centre. There is plenty of free parking. National Trust for Scotland members can visit for free as part of their membership.
Check out this review of Threave Gardens with all you need to know to plan your visit.
1. Threave Gardens Location
The first thing to mention is that there are two locations that might be easily confused. Threave Gardens is owned by the National Trust and is located separately from Threave Castle which is owned by Historic Scotland.
The address is;
Threave Garden & Estate
Telephone: 01556 502575
The location is just off the A75 West of Castle Douglas and the gardens have brown tourist signs to direct you to them.
2. Threave Gardens Arrival
After driving through the entrance gates and up the drive you arrive at the parking area for Threave Gardens.
Parking is free at Threave Gardens.
On arrival you will see the visitor centre building. Access to the gardens is through the shop in the visitor centre.
There are toilets just near the entrance to the cafe inside the visitor centre.
3. Threave Gardens Visitor Centre
Threave Gardens visitor centre has toilets which are located to the left when you enter the main door from the car parking area. They are located close to the on-site cafe.
The cafe has plenty of indoor seating and also a lovely terrace which has a lovely view over the gardens.
To the right inside the visitor centre is the shop and this is also where you pay to access the gardens if not a member, or show your membership card if you are a member of the National Trust for Scotland.
There are steps down from the visitor centre and also a ramp down to the gardens too.
4. Threave Gardens Opening Times
The Terrace Cafe is open 10 am-4 pm, with indoor seating and table service.
Please note that we will close at 1 pm on 24 December.
1 Jan-1 Apr, closed
2 Apr-31 Oct, daily, 10.00-17.00
1 Nov-24 Dec, daily, 10.00-16.00
25 Dec-20 Jan 2022, closed
21 Jan-27 Feb, Fri-Sun, 10.00-16.00
VISITOR CENTRE AND SHOP
1 Jan-25 Apr, closed
26 Apr-31 Oct, daily, 10.00-17.00
1 Nov-24 Dec, daily, 10.00-16.00
5 Dec-20 Jan 2022, closed
21 Jan-27 Feb, Fri-Sun, 10.00-16.00
1 Apr-31 Dec, daily, dawn-dusk
5. Threave Garden Entry Costs
Adult entry £12.00
Concession entry £10.50
One adult family entry £18.00
Family entry £26.00
If you are planning to visit regularly then check out membership of the National Trust for Scotland because it works out at great value.
6. Threave Gardens Walks
There is a self guided 4 mile walk that you can take which leads all around the gardens and takes in the various different features and spaces. Click below to download the PDF leaflet.
7. Threave Gardens – Stables Cafe
In the summer months, there is a cafe outside the stables building.
This is the first building you come to when walking down the hill from the main visitor centre.
The path down is gently sloping.
8. Threave Gardens – Walled Garden
As you walk down the main path through the gardens you will pass the sign for the Garden of Contemplation on your left. You will pass by a pond on your left and will then come to the Walled Garden and Glasshouse.
Dogs are not allowed into the walled garden area.
9. Threave Gardens – Wildlife
Threave Gardens is a bat reserve and there are 8 species that live at Threave Gardens, with ranger led walks available too.
If you are planning to visit any National Trust for Scotland property more than once then consider National Trust for Scotland membership – it’s great value and comes with some lovely perks too.
Membership includes free entry and free parking at all National Trust for Scotland sites.
There is a quarterly magazine for members which is sent through the post.
There is reduced entry at properties throughout England and Wales too.
Membership Levels and Costs
Adult Membership is £5.25 per month or £63.00 per year
Senior Membership is £4.65 or £55.80 per year
Two adults can join for £9.50 per month or £114.00 per year
Families can join for £6.60 per month or £79.20 (1 adult and up to 6 children)
11. Threave Gardens FAQs
Are dogs allowed in Threave Gardens?
Dogs are allowed but there are some parts of the garden where they are now allowed entry such as the greenhouse.
What is the Threave Gardens cafe menu?
The menu changes throughout the year in the main visitor centre cafe, with seasonal dishes. The Stables cafe offers ice creams and snacks in the summer months.
If you have found this review of Threave Gardens useful you might also like my review of Brodie Castle, which has an amazing play garden.
If you are looking for somewhere to stay near Threave Gardens then check out my review, including video tour, of this super cute dog friendly cottage in Newton Stewart
If you are looking for some more ideas of places to visit and stay check out my Travel Inspiration page.
- Pitlochry Hydro Hotel – Video Room Review and Helpful TipsAre you thinking of visiting Pitlochry? Looking for somewhere to stay that has free parking but is within easy reach of the High Street? Looking for somewhere with a pool and spa facilities, restaurant and lift? The Pitlochry Hydro has all of those things, alongwith a bar and a pool room and a couple of… Read More »Pitlochry Hydro Hotel – Video Room Review and Helpful Tips
- Enchanted Forest – First Time Visit Review & Helpful TipsAre you planning a visit to the Enchanted Forest? The Daily Record described the Enchanted Forest as a “mesmerizing underwater voyage of discovery” After our visit, I would say that’s a very accurate description. Read on to learn everything you need to know to plan your trip in 2024. Enchanted Forest – Summary of Visit… Read More »Enchanted Forest – First Time Visit Review & Helpful Tips
- Days Inn Lockerbie Review and Helpful Tips for Your StayThinking of staying at the Days Inn Lockerbie? It’s a handy location right beside the M74. There is free parking at the front of the hotel and a lovely duck pond and green area to the rear. The hotel is right beside the service area which has a restaurant, McDonalds, breakfast takeaway and shop selling… Read More »Days Inn Lockerbie Review and Helpful Tips for Your Stay
- Cairn Hotel Bathgate Review and Helpful Things to KnowClick to get the best price for your stay at the Cairn Hotel Bathgate 1. Cairn Hotel Bathgate Address The address of the hotel is; Blackburn Road, Bathgate, EH48 2EL 2. Cairn Hotel Bathgate Phone Number The telephone number of the hotel is; 01506 633366 3. Getting to the Cairn Hotel Getting to the hotel… Read More »Cairn Hotel Bathgate Review and Helpful Things to Know
- Travelodge Central Edinburgh Review And Helpful Things to KnowClick to get the best price for your stay at the Travelodge Central Edinburgh 1. Travelodge Central Edinburgh Address The address of the hotel is; 33 St Marys Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1TA 2. Phone Number The telephone number of the hotel is; 0871 984 6137 3. Getting from Waverley Station to the Hotel The easiest… Read More »Travelodge Central Edinburgh Review And Helpful Things to Know
- Holyrood Hotel Review and Helpful Things to KnowClick below to quickly find the best price for your stay at the Holyrood Hotel 1. Holyrood Hotel Address The address of the Holyrood Hotel is; 81 Holyrood Hotel, Edinburgh, EH8 8AU 2. Phone Number The telephone number of the hotel is; 0131 528 8000 3. Getting from Edinburgh Waverley Station to the Holyrood Hotel… Read More »Holyrood Hotel Review and Helpful Things to Know
- Lerwick Hotel Review and Helpful Things to KnowClick to get the best price for your stay at the Lerwick Hotel 1. Lerwick Hotel Address The address of the Lerwick Hotel is; 15 South Road, Lerwick, Shetland, ZE1 0PX 2. Phone Number The telephone number of the hotel is; +44 (1595) 692166 3. Getting from Sumburgh Airport to the Lerwick Hotel It is… Read More »Lerwick Hotel Review and Helpful Things to Know
- Visit Shetland – A Stunning Destination Any Time of the YearPlanning to Visit Shetland? Shetland is an amazing place to visit. It is very different from the rest of Scotland. It has its own very distinct culture, language, food, landscape, and history. There is a great deal to see and enjoy when visiting. Visit Shetland 2. Where Do You Fly From to Get To Shetland? There… Read More »Visit Shetland – A Stunning Destination Any Time of the Year
- Alicante Holiday – All You Need to Know to Plan Your TripThinking of an Alicante holiday? You should it’s a great destination that offers great value too. Alicante is a coastal and port town located on the South Coast of Spain. It is in the Costa Blanca area, which refers to the coastline and it’s a popular tourist destination. It has a population of around 350,000… Read More »Alicante Holiday – All You Need to Know to Plan Your Trip