Are you interested in an annual travel insurance policy?
Not quite sure how this type of policy works?
Check out this quick guide which will give a quick overview and some suggestions to get the most benefit.
The details and information in this post are from my recommended travel insurance provider, Coverwise. They are who I use for my insurance. I find their prices great value and their coverage very good. They include business cover and cover for trips in the UK in their policies which is also helpful.
How Does Annual Travel Insurance Work – Buying a Policy
When it comes to buying there is very little difference between buying an annual travel insurance policy and a single-trip policy.
First off you need to choose annual travel insurance as the policy you want.
You then have to select whether you need winter sports cover in your policy or not.
You have to select which part of the world you plan on travelling to.
You need to choose a start date for your policy. For an annual travel insurance policy the start date is the beginning of the year that the policy will run from.
Choose the earliest start date possible and ideally take out your travel insurance before you book any travel. That way you will have some level of cancellation coverage for your trip. If you book your trip before you take out your travel insurance policy you will have no cover or less cover (check your policy for details).
Travellers and Ages
You have to give details of the number of travellers and their ages.
Level of Cover
You then choose what level of cover you would like from the options available.
Don’t just look at the cost of the insurance. Check the excess and the amount you would need to pay in the event of a claim. The higher premium you pay the lower the excess is. Standard and Bronze cover has the lowest premium but an excess of £125 or £200 depending on the item being claimed. Silver Plus and Gold policies have a £50 excess. This could mean that if you had to claim paying a higher premium would pay for itself.
Also, check what is covered before making your choice. Silver Plus and Gold policies include cover for abandonment, missed and delayed departure which Standard and Bronze policies don’t.
Once you have chosen your level of cover you need to complete a medical declaration for all of the travellers on the policy.
Ensure you declare every condition and all the medication you are taking even if you don’t think it is relevant or will have any effect on your travelling. Failing to declare any condition could invalidate your insurance policy in the event of a claim.
Starting Your Policy
Once you click confirm and buy your policy you will get your policy documents. You should take the time to read these thoroughly and check the policy details.
You have a ‘grace’ period where you can cancel your policy and get a full refund. This is generally around 14 days so use this time to double-check all the details.
Annual Travel Insurance Coverage Levels
The level of coverage on an annual travel insurance policy is per person not per policy.
For example, all Coverwise policies have £20 million pound of medical expenses covered. If your annual travel insurance policy is for more than 1 person then each traveller is covered for that amount.
The same applies to cancellation coverage and all the other items listed on the policy schedule.
Annual Travel Insurance Policy Tips
One of the great things about annual travel insurance is that you buy a policy and you are covered for travel but you need to remember a few key things to ensure that cover remains in place.
Amend Your Policy If You Decide to Travel To Another Region of the World Not Covered
If you take out cover for Europe and you then travel to the USA you will not have any travel insurance for your trip to the USA. Make sure you know what areas of the world you have cover for and amend your policy if you decide to travel anywhere else.
Check Overnight Stops and Cruise Ship Destinations
If you are taking any trips that involve an overnight stay you need to ensure you have cover to that region covered in your policy.
The same applies to any day trips you might take, or cruise ship excursions or stops.
Update Your Health Conditions
If you have any new health conditions or are prescribed any new medication you need to update your travel insurance policy.
This can involve a phone call rather than updating online which can be a bit time-consuming.
However, it is essential to do this otherwise you may not be covered if you needed to make a claim.
Travellers Do Not Have to Travel Together But Some May Need Permission
If you take out a policy for 4 family members they do not all have to travel together. Each traveller is covered independently under the policy.
You just need to ensure that any family members under 18 have their parents/guardians’ permission to travel otherwise they may not be covered.
Annual Travel Insurance Renewal
One of the great things about annual travel insurance is that it covers you for a whole year. It’s super convenient for regular travellers.
When it comes time for renewal the policy will generally renew automatically. You can usually turn this option off in your account if choose to or you will get a reminder before the renewal to advise the price. If that’s the case you can choose to let the policy renew automatically or cancel it if you want to get insurance elsewhere.
Annual Travel Insurance Conclusion
- Annual travel insurance is super convenient for regular travellers
- As with any insurance you need to be familiar with the terms, conditions, and policy details to ensure you are covered for your travel
- You need to remember to update your policy with any changes in health conditions or medication for all of the travellers on your policy. Failing to do so may mean no travel insurance.
If you have found this article about ‘how does annual travel insurance work’ you might also like;
You can find more articles on my Annual Travel Insurance page
- How Does Annual Travel Insurance Work? Guide and TipsAre you interested in an annual travel insurance policy? Not quite sure how this type of policy works? Check out this quick guide which will give a quick overview and some suggestions to get the most benefit. The details and information in this post are from my recommended travel insurance provider, Coverwise. They are who … Read more
- What’s The Difference Between Single and Annual Travel Insurance?Have you ever wondered what the difference between single and annual travel insurance is? Do you want to find out which insurance will suit your travel plans best? You will find all the answers you need right here. Buying Single Trip and Annual Travel Insurance When it comes to purchasing a travel insurance policy you … Read more
- Do I Need Travel Insurance? Here’s Why You Absolutely DoThis is a question I get asked a lot. Having seen travel insurance swing into action in many countries around the world my answer would be yes – it’s just too risky to travel without it. If you are still asking yourself ‘do I need travel insurance?’ then read on. Do I Need Travel Insurance? … Read more
- Does Holiday Annual Insurance Cover Cruise Ships? 🚢Planning on taking a cruise? Here are some things to consider to make sure your holiday annual insurance policy covers you. Thinking of getting a holiday annual insurance policy? Selecting Your Holiday Annual Insurance Policy If you haven’t bought your holiday annual insurance policy yet you need to ensure that all the countries and regions … Read more
- What Does Annual Holiday Insurance Cover? 🧳What is Annual Holiday Insurance? What is the Difference Between Annual and Single Trip Holiday Insurance? Apart from the obvious in that a single trip policy only covers one trip the way the cover works is a little different. For annual holiday insurance, each person covered by the policy gets the level of coverage outlined … Read more
- Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance – All You Need to KnowHeard of annual multi trip travel insurance but not sure how it works? Well, read on because in this article I will cover everything you need to know. What is Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance? However many trips you take in a year you will always have travel insurance. Where Does Annual Multi Trip Travel … Read more
- Annual Car Hire Excess Insurance – All You Need to KnowAre you looking for annual car hire excess insurance? Great. It’s a fab way to save money when travelling and hiring cars. (This is one of my recommended travel items – find the rest of my Travel Essentials page) Why Do I Recommend This Annual Car Hire Excess Insurance? Currently £29.99 per year through Coverwise … Read more
- 7 Travel Insurance Annual Policy Things You Need to KnowLooking for a travel insurance annual policy? Having travelled professionally for over 30 years and taken many groups overseas in my role as a coach holiday Tour Manager I have seen how important it is to have travel insurance that is there when you need it. Here are my top tips, learned through dealing with … Read more
- Yearly Travel Insurance – Everything You Need to KnowWant to know all about yearly travel insurance? Check out this guide and get all your questions answered including what it covers, when to buy it, and pros and cons. It’s all here. Yearly Travel Insurance – What Is It? Yearly travel insurance is a policy that covers you wherever you travel for a whole … Read more