2023 looks like it is going to be an even busier year than 2022 for travel.
Here are some of the 2023 travel trends to look forward to.
1. 2023 Travel Trends – Value-Driven Travel
Given the cost of living crisis, it’s no surprise that value-driven travel is going to be much more important in 2023. Surveys show that people are generally planning to travel the same amount as previously, with many travellers saying they plan to travel more. However, they are looking for greater value from their travel spending.
All-inclusive bookings are on the increase and there is a shift towards 3-star hotels rather than 4-star stays. Travellers will also be looking at the costs of flights in terms of paying for seating, luggage and meals to try and find the best overall deal.
In terms of travel destinations travellers are looking for destinations that offer greater value for their travel spending – Croatia and Albania are proving popular for shorter-haul trips. Mexico is also proving popular for a longer-haul spot.
2. 2023 Travel Trends – Premium Economy
Having a more comfortable flight without the huge price tag of business class is a trend that looks set to stay, so expect increased capacity in this seating class. Whilst this may seem a contradiction to value based travel if you think of this trend in terms of value to the overall experience it explains its continued growth.
If you arrive at your holiday destination stressed and tired after an uncomfortable flight it is likely to affect the start and end of your holiday, so a bit of spending to prevent this is worth it.
3. Longer Haul Making a Comeback
As Covid19 travel restrictions recede travellers are looking at longer-haul destinations once again. Australia, New Zealand and the Asia Pacific are all getting much more interest from travellers.
Many travellers feel more confident about booking longer haul now, without the worries of borders being closed and restrictions changing as they had done before.
4. 2023 Travel Trends – Short Haul Still Popular
Short-haul destinations are still popular with travellers from the UK preferring beach breaks, city breaks and family visits when travelling short haul. Paris and Barcelona are still proving popular but travellers are looking for less visited destinations. They are looking for more authentic experiences and also more unusual experiences too. They want to do something different and memorable.
5. 2023 Travel Trends – Digital Nomads
Many countries have introduced digital nomad visas to enable people to travel and work more easily. Countries that have introduced schemes include Croatia, Cyprus, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Latvia, Malta, Romania, The Netherlands, Norway and Spain.
Some of these schemes have income requirements. Expect to see more people combining working with leisure and also some digital nomads travelling to save on the cost of living.
6. 2023 Travel Trends – Supersonic
With Boom ordering new supersonic jets it looks like supersonic is going to be a thing in the not too distant future. Imagine all those longer-haul destinations suddenly becoming short or mid-haul instead. That could really change the shape of travel. Whilst this isn’t happening in 2023 it’s still an exciting trend!
7. 2023 Travel Trends – Nature & Wildlife
Travel is becoming more and more about experiences and included in that are nature and wildlife experiences. Whether it is getting away from it all and staying somewhere more rural, or travelling to places to experience wildlife and nature expect more of it in 2023.
8. 2023 Travel Trends – TV Inspired Travel
TV continues to inspire travel destinations and this trend looks set to continue in 2023. What a great opportunity for destinations to build on the back of the film or TV series they have been featured in.
9. 2023 Travel Trends – Solo Travellers
Predictions are that 25% of travellers in 2023 are going to be solo travellers. They are going to be focussed on following their own interests. Unlike digital nomads solo travellers are not looking to combine travel with work. Expect to see an increase in sites and apps that help travellers meet other travellers to experience trips or activities together. Also, expect to see a decrease in single supplements!
10. Staffing Shortages
As tourism continues to grow back to pre-2020 levels the staff shortages in the industry look set to remain. With many people leaving the industry for more certainty shortages will continue. Some companies are now bringing in pay rises to attract new recruits. 2023 looks set to be busier than 2022 and with cruise ships returning to full capacity, there are going to be even more demands on local services, guides, drivers etc.
If you have found my 2023 Travel Trends article useful you might also like;
6 Fab Flight Hacks – top tips to get the best flight prices
The Best Time to Book Hotels – how to get the best hotel deals
Find more money-saving tips and guides on my Travel More and Spend Less page
- Holyrood Hotel Review and Helpful Things to Know 🏴Click below to quickly find the best price for your stay at the Holyrood Hotel 1. Holyrood Hotel Address The address of the Holyrood Hotel is; 81 Holyrood Hotel, Edinburgh, EH8 8AU 2. Phone Number The telephone number of the hotel is; 0131 528 8000 3. Getting from Edinburgh Waverley Station to the Holyrood Hotel… Read More »Holyrood Hotel Review and Helpful Things to Know 🏴
- Lerwick Hotel Review and Helpful Things to KnowClick to get the best price for your stay at the Lerwick Hotel 1. Lerwick Hotel Address The address of the Lerwick Hotel is; 15 South Road, Lerwick, Shetland, ZE1 0PX 2. Phone Number The telephone number of the hotel is; +44 (1595) 692166 3. Getting from Sumburgh Airport to the Lerwick Hotel It is… Read More »Lerwick Hotel Review and Helpful Things to Know
- Visit Shetland – A Stunning Destination Any Time of the YearPlanning to Visit Shetland? Shetland is an amazing place to visit. It is very different from the rest of Scotland. It has its own very distinct culture, language, food, landscape, and history. There is a great deal to see and enjoy when visiting. Visit Shetland 2. Where Do You Fly From to Get To Shetland? There… Read More »Visit Shetland – A Stunning Destination Any Time of the Year
- Alicante Holiday – What You Need to Know to Plan Your Trip 🇪🇸Thinking of an Alicante holiday? You should it’s a great destination that offers great value too. Alicante is a coastal and port town located on the South Coast of Spain. It is in the Costa Blanca area, which refers to the coastline and it’s a popular tourist destination. It has a population of around 350,000… Read More »Alicante Holiday – What You Need to Know to Plan Your Trip 🇪🇸
- 6 Handpicked Hotels in Riga – From Budget to Luxury 🇱🇻Looking for Hotels In Riga? Wondering where to stay? Check out this guide and find your perfect stay from these hotels in Riga. Hotels in Riga – Airport Hotels If you need to stay close to the airport then you have two choices – the Sky High Hotel or the Hampton by Hilton. Hotels in… Read More »6 Handpicked Hotels in Riga – From Budget to Luxury 🇱🇻
- 5 Interesting Things to Do in Riga – Plus How to Get Around 🇱🇻Planning on visiting Riga? Read on for some ideas of things to do in Riga, including a couple of free and a couple of paid options. There are also a couple of restaurant recommendations too. Riga public transport is really great value so keep reading to find out how to use it to get around.… Read More »5 Interesting Things to Do in Riga – Plus How to Get Around 🇱🇻
- 10 Reasons to Stay at the Lovely Busta House HotelI am lucky enough to have stayed at the lovely Busta House Hotel a number of times when taking tour groups to Shetland. It’s my favourite hotel on Shetland, and one of my favourite hotels anywhere. Here are 10 reasons you should stay at the Busta House Hotel too. 1. Busta House Hotel is Run… Read More »10 Reasons to Stay at the Lovely Busta House Hotel
- 26 Great Things to Do On Your Shetland HolidayConsidering a Shetland holiday? It’s a fantastic place to visit, with its own unique character. There is something about Shetland – whether that’s the people, the scenery, the wildlife, or the weather. It gets under your skin. Here are 26 things you might like to see on your Shetland Holiday. Shetland Holiday 1. Sumburgh Head… Read More »26 Great Things to Do On Your Shetland Holiday
- Campanile Glasgow – Helpful Things to Know Before You StayLooking to stay at the Campanile Glasgow? Check out this review, including a video room tour of a twin room. Pros My Review Score 😄 Cons Cost £79 twin room, no breakfast Campanile Glasgow – Find the Best Price Online Want to find the best price for the Campanile Glasgow super quickly? Just pop your… Read More »Campanile Glasgow – Helpful Things to Know Before You Stay