About Melanie And My Travel Experience
1. About Melanie – Professional Travel Experience
OK let’s start with some facts and figures about my professional travel experience.
- Regular business travel to Denmark and also trips to Germany and Sweden
- Extensive travel around the UK for 6 years and away for a minimum of 6 months per year
- Lived for one season in Lake Garda and another in Lake Como with week-long stays of guests from the UK. Lake Garda tours included weekly visits to the Dolomites, Verona, Venice, Lake Tour and Limone. Lake Como tours included weekly visits to Lake Maggiore, Lake Lugano, Lake Tour, Milan and Bellagio. Over 50 tours in total.
- Spent a season working as a hotel representative in Lake Garda covering the Veneto region. This involved doing all the health and safety checks for hotels as well as meeting and greeting guests including those from the Orient Express.
- Taken tours all over the world on behalf of various coach holiday companies including;
- Austria – Sound of Music tour
- German Christmas markets – Cologne, Trier, Rhine, Moselle, Dresden
- Multiple trips to Berlin and surrounds for pre and post cruise tours
- Special events tours including Wimbledon, Formula One, Golf Tours, Robbie Williams, Andre Rieu
- Private group tours including a Cambridge Alumni tour
- 6 trips to China including cruising the Yangtse Gorge before and after flooding, Shanghai, Beijing, Chongqing, Xian, 5 day cruise along the Yangtse, Grand Canal.
- 8 trips to Australia including Perth, Darwin, Cairns, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Melbourne and Uluru. Including a wildflowers tour, driving down the East Coast from Cairns to Sydney and multiple Best of Australia tours.
- 1 trip to New Zealand.
- Bangkok – 8 trips including city tours each time, plus my own trip with tours to floating market
- Singapore – 8 trips including city tours each time, Raffles Hotel visits for lunch
- 8 trips to the Azores including stays on Sao Miguel, Faial and Terceira with multiple visits to Pico Island.
- Morocco and Spain tour including Tangier, Casblanca, Fez, Marrakech, Seville
- Petersburg to Moscow cruise with 135 British guests.
- Tour to the Baltic States including Latvia, Lithuania, Finland, Norway and Estonia
- Multiple tours to Paris including Paris city tours (by me)
- Multiple tours to London including London city tours (by me), theatre breaks, New Year’s trips, Windsor and Windsor Castle
- Multiple tours of the UK including weekend breaks, Christmas tours, Norfolk, Chester
- Multiple tours of the UK with American guests including tours and commentary throughout (by me) and stays in Bath, Caernarfon, York, the Lake District and Edinburgh
- Multiple Highland Railway tours (over 20)
- Tours of Scotland and England including short break trips, two week in depth tours of Scotland
- Multiple tours to Lewis, Harris, Isle of Skye and Shetland (15 week long trips)
You are a great tour leader. Your knowledge of place, your sense of humour and your laughter carry the day.
You are a fantastic guide. We learned so much while enjoying the beauty of Shetland
Your knowledge and organisation was top-notch. Your sense of humour and relaxed style were added bonuses.
2. About Melanie – Travel Background
In the 1970s I was lucky enough to enjoy long haul holidays and had some great experiences, not least having a birthday cake with candles presented to me on a British Airways flight to America (that was when you could smoke on a plane!).
I was also a member of the British Airways Junior Jet Club, which not only kept kids entertained on flights but also arranged lots of activities and trips in the UK too.
My first job involved working for a Danish company which meant there were lots of trips to the factory in Denmark including driving across to Denmark when I was 17.
Later I moved into travel full time thanks to my first partner who was a coach driver and introduced me to the life, and it’s something I have done ever since.
Travel really is my passion and I now enjoy solo travel. My bucket list is ever expanding!
3. About Melanie – What It’s Like Travelling for Work
Most of my travel has been for work purposes, initially travelling to events and exhibitions all over the UK and Europe and later as a Tour Manager.
It is a different type of travel from leisure travel.
Most of my travelling has been done leading a group of holidaymakers, mainly British, overseas and latterly leading groups of US guests around the UK.
This makes it a different experience too.
I am often busy when away sorting out problems, confirming flights, and getting supplies and in the old days before WiFi was in hotels you would often find me at an internet cafe trying to catch up on emails and messages related to the tour.
The photo above is me at Lake Lugano when I was based in Lake Como. We used to visit weekly and it was always a nice place to spend the day. It’s quite an old photo and was during the time when I was too scared to fly!
When travelling with groups I never stray too far away from the vicinity of the hotel we are staying in, just to make sure I am on hand in case something is needed.
Often I am working with a coach driver which can add another spin on the work experience.
4. About Melanie – Solo Travel Adventures
In the last couple of years, I have discovered the joy of solo travel and it has been a revelation. I have enjoyed solo stays in Portugal, Spain, Istanbul and Baku and I have lots more solo trips planned.
Whilst there are moments of being scared and uncertain I love the sense of achievement and I love the fact I can do what I want when I want without having to compromise (something I am not very good at anyway!)
5. About Melanie – My Fur Babies!
The hardest thing about travelling is leaving my family, although that is easier now than it used to be as my nephew has gotten older. However, leaving my dogs just gets tougher.
My dogs have been my best friends and kept me company through everything life has thrown at me over the last 12 years or so. They sleep next to me at night and they snuggle next to me on the sofa.
As I write this, during the Covid-19 period of life, they have been my constant companions now for 9 months. I have never been at home so much and they have kept me calm and sane through this craziness, helped me to focus while I work and helped me to appreciate life when at times that has been a bit harder to do.
I think the reason I love dachshunds, in particular, Lotty and Christy are my 3rd and 4th, is their characters. They are strong willed, independent and not very biddable – much like me!
9. About Melanie – Where You Can Find Me
Here’s where you can find me online;
Author Bio – Melanie Newdick, Professional Traveller
- +36 years travelling for work. Visited +40 countries (many multiple times)
- Stayed in over 700 hotels. Taken +9,500 on coach holidays
- Check all out my best money saving resources
You Might Also Like
Travel Resources – everything I use all in one place
Travel Inspiration – trip reports, reviews, book reviews, and more to help you get ideas for your next adventure
Travel Essentials – reviews of tried and tested travel gear
Travel More and Spend Less – articles, guides, and hacks to help you squeeze the most from your travel budget
Annual Travel Insurance – all you need to know about this travel essential
Airport Lounges – Everything you need to know including lots about Priority Pass
The Scottish Highlands – holiday cottages, hotels, things to do, and much more to help you get the most from your holiday
Invergordon Cruise Port – all you need to know to help your plan your visit
Loch Ness Tour – details of a 1/2 day private tour that goes to Loch Ness!
Coach Holiday Expert – holiday reviews, articles, and advice to help you have the best coach holiday
About Melanie – background and travel experience
About the Professional Traveller – what this website is all about and why it was set up
Work with Me – details of the travel review services I provide to destinations, hotels, and holiday companies