Interested in using airport lounges?
Not sure how to access them, what they are like, what you can wear, how they all work?
Don’t worry – this article covers absolutely everything you need to know, enabling you to book and enjoy an improved airport experience.
Everything You Need to Know about Airport Lounges
What Are Airport Lounges?
Airport lounges are services provided to travellers either by airlines or independent operators. They are spaces within the airport that offer enhanced facilities such as better WIFI, more comfortable seating and free food and drinks.
Types of Airport Lounge
Whilst there are lots of different lounges throughout the world’s airports there are two main categories of lounges that travellers can use;
Airline lounges are operated by airlines to provide a premium service to their premium guests. Access to these lounges is usually included if you are travelling first, business, or club class. Access varies from airline to airline so it is always worth checking.
This information may also be printed on your ticket.
You cannot buy access to these lounges either online or through a membership scheme.
British Airways Lounges – read the details of who can access their lounges
Most airport lounges are operated by independent providers. They may run lots of lounges, like Aspire lounges, or just one such as The Yorkshire lounge.
You can generally buy access to these lounges directly, through the airport website, through an online site such as Holidayextras.com or through a lounge membership scheme.
The price and access details vary depending on where you buy access from.
How Do I Access an Airport Lounge?
There are several ways to get airport lounge access.
(Check out my Cheap Airport Lounges post which will show the cheapest way to access an airport lounge based on your travel plans)
Buy Direct from the Lounge Company
Some companies let you buy access to their lounge directly.
Aspire Lounges – they operate lots of lounges in the UK and Europe. You can check prices and buy access through their website.
Number 1 Lounges – one of the most popular lounges at London Gatwick, with lounges at London Heathrow and Birmingham airports too. You can buy access through their website.
Buy Lounge Access Via the Airport
Most airports will have a section on their website which covers premium services such as fast-track security, priority parking and airport lounge access.
Edinburgh Airport – you can book the Plaza Premium Lounge or Aspire lounge via their website
Gatwick Airport – there are 6 lounges you book via the airport site including the Clubrooms
Manchester Airport – you can book the Escape lounge or the premium 1903 lounge on their website.
Buying Access Online
Some holiday and travel sites also sell airport lounge access. You can sometimes get good deals but it is always worth comparing the prices with buying lounge access direct or via the airport.
It’s also worth bearing in mind that sometimes buying online via a deals site might be cheaper but access is only for 2 hours, not 3 hours which it can be if you buy direct.
Holidayextras sells lounge access online and generally has some good deals.
Lounge Pass Default Landing“>Lounge Pass has a huge selection of lounges available to buy on a pay as you go basis
(Check out my Airport Lounge Pass vs Pay As You Go post which compares which is cheaper)
Buy or Gain Access Via a Travel Credit Card
Some credit cards have travel perks as their rewards for card users. Some of these include free airport lounge access. These cards may have a minimum spending or earning requirement and can have high interest rates if you are not paying back in full each month. It’s always best to check the small print.
Some credit cards have free membership to an airport lounge membership scheme, but this could still mean that you need to pay each time you visit a lounge.
The Points Guy has details of the cards that offer lounge access. Most of them offer free airport lounge membership and a fee each time you visit.
The devil, as always, is in the detail.
Free membership is not the same as free access to airport lounges. Most of the offers promoted are free memberships with travellers still having to pay a fee to access the airport lounge.
Access Through an Airport Lounge Membership Scheme
If you plan to be travelling and using airport lounges frequently then using an airport lounge membership scheme might be the best option for you.
You generally need to be planning on using a lounge around 6 times or more to make it worth your while buying a membership. However, that depends on where you plan to travel and whether you will be alone or with a guest.
Priority Pass is one of the most popular airport lounge membership schemes.
(Read my Airport Lounge Membership Comparison post to compare all schemes and their costs)
(Priority Pass is one of the most popular membership schemes. Read my review of all the benefits of Priority Pass Membership)
What are the Advantages of Using an Airport Lounge?
I always like to think of using an airport lounge as an upgrade to the airport experience.
Here are the main benefits.
More Comfortable Surroundings
Airport lounges are generally quieter than the main public spaces in an airport. This can make for a more relaxing pre-trip flight experience – ideal if you are a nervous flyer like me!
The seating in airport lounges is usually more comfortable with lounges offering a mix of seating, as well as tables, chairs and workstations.
Often there are nicer views with some airport lounges having runway views. This can be interesting to watch.
Free Food and Drink
All lounges have free food and drink. What the food and drink is varies from lounge to lounge.
All lounges will have hot and cold drinks and snacks. Some offer hot food items such as soups, or self-service hot dishes. Some offer puddings, sweets and ice creams.
Most drinks in airport lounges are free, including alcoholic drinks. Some lounges charge a premium for drinks like champagne.
Some lounges have showers which are ideal if you have a connecting flight, or are in between longer haul flights for example. Being able to freshen up after a long journey makes travelling so much easier!
Airport lounges generally have much better WIFI than that available in the main public area of an airport.
The WIFI is always included in the price paid for lounge access.
Work Stations and Charging Points
Airport lounges cater for business as well as leisure travellers.
That generally means there are plenty of charging points all around the lounge. Many lounges have work pods or workstations enabling busy travellers to make the most of their time.
Some lounges have entertainment facilities such as gaming stations and film screens.
Pros and Cons of Using Airport Lounges
- Airport lounges can be a fantastic way to upgrade your airport experience and make much better use of your time at the airport.
- Using an airport lounge can work out cheaper than buying food and drink at the airport.
- Airport lounges can be ideal if you find the noise and hustle of airports a bit overwhelming. They are a much calmer environment.
- Some airport lounges restrict access at busy times to those who have booked direct. This can mean if you try and access a lounge through a membership scheme you might not be able to get in.
Tips For Using An Airport Lounge
- Check what food and drink is available before you book as this might help decide if the airport lounge is good value or not.
- If you are planning on using an airport lounge you need to know where it is. Airports can often have several lounges and they can be located in completely different parts of the airport, or in a different terminal. There are also different lounges for domestic and international flights.
- You must show your boarding pass when to access an airport lounge however you booked.
- Although alcohol may be free remember not to overindulge otherwise you could be denied boarding to your flight.
Airport Lounges – Conclusion
- Airport lounges offer little sanctuaries of calm at airports for travellers who are prepared to pay to access them
- They offer upgraded facilities, food and drink to leisure and business travellers
- Airport lounges can be helpful for nervous flyers – it’s harder to be nervous when you are distracted by snacks
Airport Lounges FAQs
Do Airport Lounges Have Free Food?
All airport lounges have food available free of charge to guests using the lounge. The choice varies from lounge to lounge. There are always snacks, which may include something like soup. Some lounges have hot meals available.
Do Airport Lounges Have Free Alcohol?
Most airport lounges have free alcohol available. Some charge extra for premium drinks such as champagne. Travellers should be careful not to overindulge and risk being denied boarding for their flight.
Are Airport Lounges 24/7?
It depends on the airport but generally speaking, they are not. Airport lounges generally close after the last flight departs and reopen 3 hours before the first flight of the day departs.
Do Airport Lounges Have Showers?
This depends on the lounge. Some lounges do and some lounges do not. You will need to check the facilities at the airport or lounge you are planning to use.
These Might Be Helpful;
You might also be interested in
Airport Lounge Membership Comparison – all the main schemes compared!
Priority Pass Membership – all the benefits of membership and the costs of the scheme
Free Priority Pass Lounge Access – details of credit cards that offer free membership
Airport Lounge Pass vs. Pay as You Go – which is cheaper for you?
Cheap Airport Lounges – how to find your best deal
- Lounge Pass Or Priority Pass – What Is Your Best Option?Considering whether to use Lounge Pass or Priority Pass? Here’s my comparison looking at costs for using 3 different airport lounges. Read on to find out what the best option for you is based on your travel plans. What is Priority Pass? Priority Pass is an airport lounge membership scheme. To access airport lounges you… Read More »Lounge Pass Or Priority Pass – What Is Your Best Option?
- Free Priority Pass – How Do You Get It? ✈Ok so let’s be honest from the get-go – there really isn’t a way to get completely free priority pass lounge access (unless someone buys it for you). That said you can get a free priority pass lounge access as a benefit with some travel reward credit cards. However, for this to be free you… Read More »Free Priority Pass – How Do You Get It? ✈
- Priority Pass Lounges – All You Need to Know ✈Want to know all about Priority Pass lounges? Well here’s my guide to everything you need to know about how to access them and all the lounges you can use in the UK with your Priority Pass Membership. Check it out now. What Are Priority Pass Lounges? Well, the first thing to make clear is… Read More »Priority Pass Lounges – All You Need to Know ✈
- Priority Pass Membership – All You Need to Know About AccessAre you interested in Priority Pass lounge membership? Want to know more about the features and to see if it is right for you? Great then check out this detailed review of membership below, but first, let’s start with an important question! 1. What is Priority Pass Membership? Priority Pass in an airport lounge membership… Read More »Priority Pass Membership – All You Need to Know About Access
- Airport Lounge Membership Comparison: Which is Best Value for You?Are you a regular user of lounges and looking for an airport lounge membership comparison to find you best option? Great! That’s exactly what you will find right here. Airport Lounge Membership Comparison – Membership Schemes Airport lounge membership schemes can be a great value way to access airport lounges. Which airport lounge membership scheme… Read More »Airport Lounge Membership Comparison: Which is Best Value for You?
- Airport Lounge Pass Membership Schemes – Good Value?Are you considering an airport lounge pass? Not sure whether it is good value? Don’t worry! This article will help you decide if airport lounge membership is right for you.
- Cheap Airport Lounges: How to Easily Find Your Best DealWant to find cheap airport lounges? Just answer the 4 questions in the quiz below and find the cheapest way for you to access an airport lounge. 1. Cheap Airport Lounges – Which is the Best Option? Below you will find a guide to how to access cheap airport lounges based on your visit and… Read More »Cheap Airport Lounges: How to Easily Find Your Best Deal
You Might Also Like
Travel Inspiration – trip reports, reviews, book reviews and more to help you get ideas for your next adventure
Travel Essentials – reviews of tried and tested travel gear
Travel More and Spend Less – articles, guides and hacks to help you squeeze the most from your travel budget
Annual Travel Insurance – all you need to know about this travel essential
The Scottish Highlands – holiday cottages, hotels, things to do, and much more to help you get the most from your holiday
Invergordon Cruise Port – all you need to know to help your plan your visit
Loch Ness Tour – details of a 1 day private tour that goes the whole way around Loch Ness!
Coach Holiday Expert – holiday reviews, articles, and advice to help you have the best coach holiday
About Melanie – background and travel experience
About the Professional Traveller – what this website is all about and why it was set up
Work with Me – details of the travel review services I provide to destinations, hotels, and holiday companies