Looking to stay in Strathpeffer?
Well check out this review of the Highland Hotel Strathpeffer, which includes a video tour of the room.
What is the Highland Hotel Strathpeffer Like?
The Highland Hotel is a large hotel in a historic building. The hotel has a wood panelled lounge and dining area and some stained glass windows.
The hotel is set at the top of the hill overlooking Strathpeffer village. There are trees and greenery around the hotel and it is a very easy walk into the village itself.
The Highland Hotel has been used extensively as a hotel for tour groups. It has 147 rooms so can accommodate 3 coaches at the one time.
It is a dog friendly hotel.
During our stay it was very quiet but if it was busy with 2 or 3 coaches it would be a very different stay. We found the stay to be relaxing and particularly liked how dog friendly it was.
1. Highland Hotel Strathpeffer Address and Phone Number
Highland Hotel Strathpeffer Address:
Strathpeffer, Ross-Shire, IV14 9AN
Highland Hotel Strathpeffer Telephone Number:
0330 094 5919
2. Highland Hotel Strathpeffer Location
If you come into Strathpeffer from the East (Contin direction) you will pass an old garage on your left hand side, which is now a bus company depot. Shortly after that you will see a sign pointing to a left hand turn which is the entrance to the hotel.
If you come into Strathpeffer from the West (Dingwall direction) you will pass the various hotels including the Ben Wyvis on your left. You will then pass the main village square, just as you head up the hill you will see sign pointing to a right hand turn which is the entrance to the hotel.
There is free parking around the hotel. The are two entrances to the hotel, one at the back which is the main door into reception and step free from the rear car park.
There is another entrance through the bar/restaurant at the front of the hotel which has steps from the car parking area there.
Parking is free.
4. Highland Hotel Strathpeffer Getting to Reception
From the rear car park follow the path between the shrubs to the entrance doors. On entering the building turn left and pass the bar to reach the reception area.
From the front car parking area go up the steps and enter using the right hand door. This will take you through the bar area. The check in desk is to the left of the main staircase.
There is an option to check in online but you will still need to sign your booking form and collect your key.
Checking in was quick and easy when we stayed with a very warm welcome from the receptionist.
What are the check-in and check-out times at the Highland Hotel Strathpeffer
Check in is from 3pm.
Check out is between 10am and 11am.
- There is a bar at the hotel with a large lounge seating area
- Small terrace for outdoor dining
- Restaurant serving breakfast and dinner
- Lift (small 3 person lift with a very heavy outer door)
7. Highland Hotel Strathpeffer Eating and Drinking
What kind of breakfast is served?
The breakfast served was a buffet breakfast. On the cold buffet were cereals, yoghurts, fruit salads. On the hot buffet were sausages, bacon, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, baked beans, tinned tomatoes. There was also apple and orange juice available as well as a toast maker.
When I asked for vegetarian sausages there were none as they don’t have these available for guests.
What time is breakfast served?
Breakfast is served from 8am to 9am.
Highland Hotel Strathpeffer Menu
There was an option to book a meal in advance when checking in online. This was offered at a discounted price of £20 for 3 courses instead of the normal £25.
Dinner was a Table D’Hote menu with 3 or 4 choices for each course.
- Soup, Caprese Salad, Haddock Fishcake
Main courses included;
- Vegetarian nut roast, Beef and Ale pie, fish dish
- Ice cream, sticky toffee pudding, cheesecake
The food was good. The vegetarian roast was lovely as was the sticky toffee pudding.
The service was speedy and we actually had all 3 courses served within 30 minutes which made my hungry teenage nephew very happy.
Dog Friendly Dining
Whilst dogs are not allowed in the restaurant, you can have a table set in the bar area and eat your meals there with your doggie travelling companion. We did this for dinner and breakfast.
Having expected an older styled bedroom we were delighted with our modern looking and furnished room on the 2nd floor.
We stayed in Room 218 a large corner room which had windows looking out over the village of Strathpeffer.
The room was immaculately clean.
9. Highland Hotel Strathpeffer – Bedroom Facilities
Facilities in the bedroom included;
- Bedside tables
- Reading lights with flexible neck and good brightness
- Sockets and USB sockets beside the bed
- Desk area with mirror and hairdryer
- Small table and two seats by the window
- Ironing board and iron
- Luggage rack
- Bathroom with shower over bath and toiletries
- Two drawer unit with tea and coffee making facilities on top
10. Highland Hotel Strathpeffer – Video Room Tour
Check out the video below for a tour round our hotel room, 218 on the second floor.
11. Highland Hotel Strathpeffer – Cost of Stay
We paid £71 for a twin room, including breakfast, in April 2022.
There was an extra £10 charge for our dog.
Dinner was an extra £20 each.
The total price for the stay was £121
Sleeperz scores 4 out of 5 overall from 1092 reviews
- Location 4.5 out of 5
- Cleanliness 4.5 out of 5
- Service 4.5 out of 5
- Value 4.5 out of 5
Read more Tripadvisor reviews here
13. Highland Hotel Strathpeffer – Professional Traveller Review
- Nice hotel for a dog friendly stay with easy walking to the village area
- Relaxing and welcoming stay – ideal for 1 or 2 nights
- Interesting features around the hotel
- Quality of rooms much better than expected
- Breakfast time a bit limited so would probably eat in cafe in the square if wanted a more leisurely breakfast
Here is a little video of the view from our 2nd floor bedroom across the village of Strathpeffer
You can’t miss the Strathpeffer Pavillion – it overlooks the main square of Strathpeffer. There are regular events at the pavillion including concerts.
Check what is upcoming here.
Next to the Pavillion is the Pump Room where you can taste the spa water which made Strathpeffer a popular Victorian village with people coming to ‘take the waters’.
Offering delicious takeaway options and lovely eat in dining too, this Deli has got great reviews from it’s many satisfied customers. Open 8am to 10pm every day apart from Sunday.
Located down the hill from the hotel and at the old railway station this is a tiny but cute museum designed to evoke some fold childhood memories.
The old railway station has a couple of gift shops and a cafe too so it’s a pleasant destination for a walk.
Pop your dates in below to find great prices online
If you have found this review of the Highland Hotel Strathpeffer useful you might also like;
10 Important Things to Know Before Visiting the Highlands – for an even better stay
Highland Cottages with Hot Tubs – for great self catering stays in the Highlands
The Scottish Highlands – why this is a great destination to visit anytime of the year
Scottish Highlands Road Trip – an easy 1 or 2 day trip that has amazing scenery. You could easily combine this with your stay in Strathpeffer
If you want some more ideas for your next trip check out my Travel Inspiration page
- Coach Holidays & Covid in Scotland – 2022 UpdateCoach holidays & Covid in Scotland – somehow we are still talking about it in 2022 🙁 It’s shaping up to be a very busy year here in Scotland which is great, but there are still some Covid points to consider and be aware of. I’ve just been on my first trip of the year,… Read More »Coach Holidays & Covid in Scotland – 2022 Update
- Highland Hotel Strathpeffer Review: Great Stay With Our DogLooking to stay in Strathpeffer? Well check out this review of the Highland Hotel Strathpeffer, which includes a video tour of the room. What is the Highland Hotel Strathpeffer Like? The Highland Hotel is a large hotel in a historic building. The hotel has a wood panelled lounge and dining area and some stained glass… Read More »Highland Hotel Strathpeffer Review: Great Stay With Our Dog
- Scottish Highlands Railway Holiday – Detailed Review With Helpful Hints & TipsAre you interested in a Scottish Highlands Railways holiday? Well fabulous! Check out this in depth review of one of the most popular Scottish Highlands Railways holiday. This tour has run for many years so is well established. It includes; Regional flights from the UK to Edinburgh 4 nights half board accommodation in a Highland… Read More »Scottish Highlands Railway Holiday – Detailed Review With Helpful Hints & Tips
- Sleep App For Travelling – A Travelling Bedtime Essential!Do you find it difficult to fall asleep? Does your mind have difficulty shutting down? Well then check out this review of my favourite sleep app which is ideal for travellers! Table of Contents 1. Sleep App for Travelling – Calm Sleep App2. Sleep App for Travelling?Sleep App for Travelling – Non Fiction Sleep StoriesSleep… Read More »Sleep App For Travelling – A Travelling Bedtime Essential!
- Baku Holiday Review: Check Out Why Baku is Great to VisitIs Baku Good for a Holiday? Baku is not visited by many people from the UK, making it feel quite undiscovered. It’s in the earlier stages of tourism development giving it a unique feel. It is very easy to explore on foot and public transport. The history of Baku is really interesting and there is… Read More »Baku Holiday Review: Check Out Why Baku is Great to Visit
- Airport Lounge Membership Comparison: Which is Best for You?Are you looking interested in airport lounge access? Are you a regular user of lounges and looking for airport lounge membership comparison to find you best option? Great! That’s exactly what you will find right here. First let’s answer one of the most common questions when it comes to airport lounge membership plans. What’s the… Read More »Airport Lounge Membership Comparison: Which is Best for You?
- Valencia City Break Review: Check Out This Fabulous Friendly CityConsidering a Valencia city break? You absolutely should as it’s a fantastic city. Check out this guide to a Valencia city break and get ideas for your own trip. First let’s deal with a common question! Is Valencia Worth a Visit? Valencia is less visited than some other cities such as Barcelona. This gives it… Read More »Valencia City Break Review: Check Out This Fabulous Friendly City
- Riga City Break Review: Fantastic City with Great Food & DiscoveriesIs Riga A Good City Break? Riga has so many attractions. There is a wonderful old town with historic buildings and cute cafes. The Art Nouveau district has some fabulous architecture to admire. There is a lovely canal running through the city with boat trips on it, and around the canal are lovely gardens. Riga… Read More »Riga City Break Review: Fantastic City with Great Food & Discoveries
- The Coach Holiday Driver – An Essential Part of a Great Coach HolidayHave you ever wondered what a coach holiday driver does? Over the years I have worked with more than 100 coach drivers, all over the world. Let’s start with what the role of a coach driver actually is. What Is the Role of a Coach Driver? The coach driver is responsible for driving the coach… Read More »The Coach Holiday Driver – An Essential Part of a Great Coach Holiday
- Coach Holidays for Single Travellers – 3 Key Things to KnowAre you a single traveller? There are several coach holidays for single travellers. Here are the main 3 types of coach holidays available; How To Go On a Coach Holiday If You Are Single As a single traveller you have three main options when it comes to coach holidays. There are dedicated single traveller coach… Read More »Coach Holidays for Single Travellers – 3 Key Things to Know
- Southerness Self Catering Review: Video Tour of Dog Friendly ChaletAre you planning a Southerness self catering holiday? Well check out this review based on a 1 week stay in Southerness in November 2021. Table of Contents 1. Southerness Self Catering – Getting To Southerness2. Southerness Self Catering – Southerness Village – What’s There?3. Southerness Self Catering – Southerness Beach4. Southerness Self Catering – Southerness… Read More »Southerness Self Catering Review: Video Tour of Dog Friendly Chalet
- Southerness Things To Do – Cute Cafes, Wonderful Wildlife & Sandy BeachesAre you planning on visiting Southerness? Want some ideas of things to do in the area? Great then check out this list of things we did during our week long stay in November 2021. (If you want to check out the holiday cottage we stayed in have a look at Southerness Self Catering, which includes… Read More »Southerness Things To Do – Cute Cafes, Wonderful Wildlife & Sandy Beaches
- The Bank House Uttoxeter Review: Quirky Hotel In City Centre with Friendly PigeonsAre you looking for a hotel in Uttoxeter? Check out this review including a video tour of the Bank House Uttoxeter. It’s definitely a bit quirky! Table of Contents 1. The Bank House Uttoxeter: Address and Telephone Number2. The Bank House Uttoxeter: Directions3. The Bank House Uttoxeter: Parking4. Checking In at The Bank House Uttoxeter5.… Read More »The Bank House Uttoxeter Review: Quirky Hotel In City Centre with Friendly Pigeons
- Holiday Inn Luton Airport Review: Great Value, Easy To Access – Ideal OvernightAre you looking for a great hotel that is minutes from Luton Airport? With comfy rooms and good prices? Then check out my review of a 1 night stay at the Holiday Inn Luton Airport including a video room tour. 1. Holiday Inn Luton Airport Location The address of the Holiday Inn Luton Airport is; London… Read More »Holiday Inn Luton Airport Review: Great Value, Easy To Access – Ideal Overnight
- Sleeperz Dundee Review: Fab City Break Hotel Opp. V&AIs Sleeperz Dundee Good for a City Break? Sleeperz Dundee is a great option for a city break. It’s opposite the V&A Museum, opposite HMS Dundee and it’s right over the train station. It is easy to walk to the city centre attractions, restaurants and cafes too. It’s got modern rooms and a nice bar… Read More »Sleeperz Dundee Review: Fab City Break Hotel Opp. V&A
- Brodie Castle Review: A Quirky Castle & A Fabulous Play AreaThinking of visiting Brodie Castle? You should because it really is a lovely spot. With lovely grounds to walk in, a quirky castle, cute cafe and a fabulous play area what’s not to like? Check out this guide for all you need to know 1. Brodie Castle: Address and Telephone Number Brodie Castle address is;… Read More »Brodie Castle Review: A Quirky Castle & A Fabulous Play Area
- Jurys Inn Aberdeen Review: A Great Hotel for a City BreakAre you looking for a great hotel in the heart of Aberdeen? Jurys Inn Aberdeen is at the heart of all the action. Check out this review, including a video tour of a room, to see if it’s your perfect stay. Table of Contents 1. Jurys Inn Aberdeen – Address and Telephone Number2. Jurys Inn… Read More »Jurys Inn Aberdeen Review: A Great Hotel for a City Break
- Best Underseat Case for Easyjet Flight – Avoid Paying Any Luggage Fees!Are you looking for underseat case for an Easyjet flight? Well I’ve found an absolute cracker for you! Check out this review for all the details include a video guide to show you how much you can pack in to this tardis like case. It’s very light, got plenty of pockets and can even convert… Read More »Best Underseat Case for Easyjet Flight – Avoid Paying Any Luggage Fees!
- Douro River Cruise Review: All You Need to Know About This Stunning TripAre you thinking of taking a Douro river cruise? It’s a gorgeous region of Portugal. I’m lucky enough to have taken this cruise, so before we jump in here’s why I think the Douro is a great cruising option; Is the Douro Valley Worth Visiting? Absolutely! The Douro Valley is awash with stunning scenery. From… Read More »Douro River Cruise Review: All You Need to Know About This Stunning Trip