What is the best app to help you sleep?
Do you find it difficult to fall asleep?
Does your mind have difficulty shutting down?
Well then check out this review of my favourite sleep app which is ideal for travellers!
1. Sleep App for Travelling – Calm Sleep App
The Calm Sleep App is like a bedtime story app for adults.
It’s a paid app and is £36 a year.
Calm is actually much more than just a sleep app. Here are some of the features that it has;
- Soundscapes – background sounds, ideal for helping concentration
- Sleep Stories – much more on these later!
- Daily Sparks – short motivational sessions on a huge range of topics
- Daily meditations – ideal for those new to meditation, with meditations on many subjects
- Masterclasses – deeper dives into topics such as healthy living
- Stretching and exercise guides
2. Sleep App for Travelling?
Perhaps it should really be the best sleep app for travellers?
The reason I love the Calm Sleep App so much is because they have a large number of stories that relate to travel. It is so lovely to drift off to sleep listening to stories of places that you have visited or plan to visit.
Here are some of my favourite stories;
Crossing Ireland By Train Read by Cillian Murphy
Yes, that’s right – Cillian Murphy of Peaky Blinders fame reads this lovely story about taking a train across his homeland of Ireland. Like most of the Calm Sleep Stories, I can’t tell you what happens as I can only remember the beginning. Cillian Murphy is from Ireland and it is lovely to hear his accent in this reading.
The City of Seven Hills Read by Paula Fernandes
This story covers Lisbon. It’s lovely to hear this story read by Paula, who is local to Lisbon, and to remember past travels and drift off dreaming of them. Having visited Lisbon a couple of times I love reminiscing when I listen to this particular sleep story.
Australia’s Coral Coast Read by Steen Bojsen-Moller
I really love Steen Bojsen-Moller’s accent and this particular sleep story tells of Ningaloo Reef, just off the Western coast of Australia. Having been lucky enough to visit this area previously, and planning to visit the reef it’s a tantalising story of what it is like to dive in the area. Steen Bojsen-Moller also read Crossing Australia by Train which starts in Darwin, another story that reminds of past and future travels.
Check out all my recommended travel gear on my Travel Essentials page
Sleep App for Travelling – Non-Fiction Sleep Stories
There are lots of non-fiction sleep stories available for listeners. Lots of them are travel based and include stories such as;
- The Beauty of Belize
- Angkors Hidden Temples
- Lofoten Islands
- The Emerald Isle
- Colombia’s Lost City
- A Cruise on the Nile
- Exploring Easter Island
- All Aboard the Flying Scotsman
- The Nordland Night Train
- Morocco’s Hidden Forest
- Wild Sweden
- And many more!
Listening to these travel stories is a great way to inspire travel related dreams 🙂
Sleep App for Travelling – Train Stories
There is a whole section of stories based around train journeys including;
- The Glacier Express
- The Far North Line
- The Orient Express
- The Trans-Siberian Rail Road
Again it’s lovely to hear about the views from the trains and imagine seeing them for yourself as you drift off to sleep.
Sleep App for Travelling – Famous Voices
There are some famous and familiar voices reading stories in the Calm App. Some of my favourites include Joanna Lumley, Matthew McConaughey, Rege-Jean Page, Idris Elba, Mary Berry, David Walliams, and Stephen Fry.
Sleep App for Travelling – Amazing Voices
Whilst there are lots of well-known voices narrating stories on the app there are also some fabulous other people too. Two of my favourites are Alan Sklaar and Erik Braa. They both have the most soothing voices and I love listening to their soothing tones as I drift off to sleep.
Whatever your preference there is going to be a voice that suits you and will soothe you to sleep.
Sleep App for Travelling – Much More Than Sleeping
There is so much on Calm other than Sleep Stories. There are loads of meditations to help with different aspects of your life.
One of the other features is the Daily Spark, a quick session around a subject that promotes a deeper understanding of the subject or just a rethinking of an issue or approach. I found their sessions on Grief really helpful.
Masterclasses delve much deeper into issues and are led by experts too.
There are also breathing exercises as well as guided exercise sessions, whether it be morning wake up or evening wind-downs.
Another great area is the mediation section. There are meditations to help you fall asleep, for taking naps, or for dealing with emotions, anxiety, etc.
Sleep App for Travelling
When travelling the familiarity of these sleep stories really helps me to drift off for the night. Getting a good night’s sleep is essential to travelling which is why this is one of my absolute travel essentials!
Check out more on the Calm site.
If you have found my Sleep App for Travelling article useful you might also like;
Mobile Phone Hacks – top tips to help you when you are travelling.
Check out my Travel Essentials page for my guide to the gear you need
- Best Compression Packing Cube Set – Saves Luggage SpaceLooking for A Compression Packing Cube Set? Why Do I Recommend This Compression Packing Cube? Currently £18.69 and free Amazon Prime delivery – why not get yours now? Compression Packing Cube Set If you want to reduce the size of the luggage you travel with then you need compression packing cubes. These cubes work exactly… Read More »Best Compression Packing Cube Set – Saves Luggage Space
- Check Out The Best Packing Cubes for Travel 🧳Looking for Packing Cubes? I’ve got two great recommendations here. I am going to start with a recommended regular packing cube and then a compression packing cube. Why Do I Recommend This Packing Cube for Travel? Currently £17.99 and free Amazon Prime delivery – why not get yours now? The Best Packing Cube for Travel… Read More »Check Out The Best Packing Cubes for Travel 🧳
- Book Light – Makes Reading Easy when TravellingAre you looking for a book light? This is the one that I use when travelling – it’s tiny but powerful. (This is one of my recommended travel gear items – find the rest of my Travel Essentials page) Why Do I Recommend This Book Light? Currently £10.98 on Amazon with free Amazon Prime delivery… Read More »Book Light – Makes Reading Easy when Travelling
- Easyjet Cabin Bag – Check Out This Great Underseat CaseAre you looking for a great Easyjet cabin bag? This is my favourite case for travelling on Easyjet as it means no luggage fees! (This is one of my recommended travel gear items – find the rest on my Travel Essentials page) Why Do I Recommend This Easyjet Cabin Bag? Currently £49.99 and £3.99 UK… Read More »Easyjet Cabin Bag – Check Out This Great Underseat Case
- Travel Probiotic – A Great Way To Stay Well When TravellingAre you looking for a travel probiotic? This is the brand that I use when I travel somewhere I think this might be helpful. Why Do I Recommend This Travel Probiotic? Currently £19.99 and free Amazon Prime delivery. Why not get yours now? The Best Travel Probiotic During my travels, I have often been in places where… Read More »Travel Probiotic – A Great Way To Stay Well When Travelling
- Wired Earphones – Great Value and Great for TravellingAre you looking for a some wired earphones? Check out these earbud style ones which are good value with a good sound. Why Do I Recommend Wired Earphones? Currently £10.99 and free Prime delivery? Why not get yours now? The Best Wired Earphones Wired earphones are great to have when travelling. They are a backup in case… Read More »Wired Earphones – Great Value and Great for Travelling
- 10 Travel Essentials You Need for a Great TripHere are my 10 travel essentials based on years of travelling with thousands of travellers all over the world. During that time I have met all sorts of travellers, travelling on all types of holidays from budget to luxury ones. No matter what the holiday has cost I have seen guests across all types of… Read More »10 Travel Essentials You Need for a Great Trip
- This Great Travel Document Holder Will Keep You OrganisedAre you looking for a great travel document holder? This one has room for multiple passports/documents, money, cards, pen holder & phone pocket! Why Do I Recommend This Travel Document Holder? Currently £8.49 with free Prime delivery ? why not get yours now? The Best Travel Document Holder Keeping travel documents and items together makes travelling less… Read More »This Great Travel Document Holder Will Keep You Organised
- Great Value Earbuds – Super Light and Fab for TravellingAre you looking for some great travel earbuds? These are great value and come with a charging case. Why Do I Recommend These Earbuds? Currently £18.99 and free Prime delivery? why not get yours now? The Best Earbuds Travelling can often be quite a noisy experience. Airports, train stations, hotels, buses, cities and streets – all can… Read More »Great Value Earbuds – Super Light and Fab for Travelling