Are you thinking of visiting Pitlochry?
Looking for somewhere to stay that has free parking but is within easy reach of the High Street?
Looking for somewhere with a pool and spa facilities, restaurant and lift?
The Pitlochry Hydro has all of those things, alongwith a bar and a pool room and a couple of lounges.
Booking.com scores the Pitlochry Hydro as 6.6 with a score of 8.00 for staff.
Read on for my review of the Pitlochry Hydro Hotel based on a 1-night stay in November 2023.
Check below to find the best prices available online for your travel dates.
Author Bio – Melanie Newdick, Hotel Expert
- Stayed in over 700 hotels during +36 travel career
- Spent +10 years actually in hotels during my lifetime
- Stayed in hotels with holiday groups (+9,500 people) + as leisure & solo traveller
- Check out my top money saving resources
Pitlochry Hydro – Summary of Visit
Pitlochry Hydro Hotel Address
The address of the hotel is;
Knockard Road, Pitlochry, Perth and Kinross, PH16 5JH.
Pitlochry Hydro Phone Number
The telephone number of the hotel is;
Getting to the Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel is located just up above the main street in Pitlochry.
Head into Pitlochry. If coming from the North drive down into the town centre. Keep on the main street and turn left just past Mountain Warehouse. Mountain Warehouse will be on your left-hand side.
If coming from the South turn right just after Fishers Hotel. Fishers Hotel will be on your left-hand side.
Turn into West Moulin Road and head up the hill. You will pass a Co-operative store on your right-hand side. Continue up the hill.
You will pass Craigmhor Lodge on your left-hand side. This has a small white footbridge going over a stream close to the road.
Take the next right onto Knockard Road. There is a sign here for the Pitlochry Hydro even though it seems like you are going into a housing estate.
Continue straight on Knockard Road and the Pitlochry Hydro will be on your right-hand side.
There is plenty of parking at the hotel.
Some parking, including disabled bays, is available right outside the front of the hotel.
There is also a car park just on the other side of Knockard Road.
The reception is located just inside the entrance of the hotel to the right.
There is a step to go in and a revolving door to get into reception.
Pitlochry Hydro Hotel Facilities
- Lift to 1st and 2nd floor
- Pool table
- 2 lounges
- Restaurant serving dinner and breakfast
- 73 bedrooms
- Dog-friendly rooms
- Indoor swimming pool
- Fitness room
- Free WIFI
- Tea and coffee-making facilities
- Spare blankets in the wardrobe
- Soap and shower gel in the bathroom
Pitlochry Hydro Breakfast
Breakfast, if not included in your room rate, is £10 per person.
The reviews of breakfast weren’t that great so we didn’t bother and headed out for breakfast.
|Close to attractions||😀||Super handy for Enchanted Forest bus pick up|
|Accessible by public transport||🙂||There is a bus that runs along West Moulin Road|
|24 hour reception||🙂|
|Breakfast||😐||We didn't try breakfast but it is available|
|Evening Meals||🙂||Available but didn't try them|
|Lift||🙂||Some rooms have steps to them|
|Parking||🙂||Free parking on site|
|Room Service Meals||n/a|
|Tea and Coffee||🙂|
|Bed Type||🙂||Twin beds|
|Shower||😐||Water pressure bit low and no heat in bathroom|
|Bath||🙂||Bit dated but OK|
|Sofa/Chairs||🙂||Two chairs and a table - handy for sitting, eating etc|
|Heating||😐||Single glazing meant lots of condensation and additional oil fired radiator needed|
|Noise Levels||😀||Nice and quiet as at end of corridor|
|Light Levels||😐||Curtains didn't close so used a trouser hanter to secure|
|Temperature||😐||Room was comfortable with two heaters but had to turn oil fired one off due to clicking in and out when thermostat kicked in. Bit cool in the morning as a result|
|Bed Comfort||🙂||Comfortable beds, pillows a bit flat|
|Shower Pressure||😐||Shower pressure low, it is an old building though|
|Shower Temperature||🙂||Temperature OK - would have liked a bit more water|
|Fixtures and Fittings||🙂||Bit older but OK|
|Hospitality Staff||Didn't eat or drink in the hotel|
|WOULD I STAY AGAIN?||🙂||Yes I would especially if visiting Enchanted Forest again as it was super handy for the bus pick up|
Pitlochry Hydro – What’s Nearby
The centre of Pitlochry is a 5-minute walk downhill and a 10-minute walk back up the hill.
There are lots of shops and cafes in the centre of Pitlochry.
There is also Blair Athol Distillery at the Southern end of Pitlochry and the Faskally Dam visitor centre at the North end, with an on-site cafe.
Pitlochry Station is a 10-minute walk away from the Pitlochry Hydro Hotel.
Professional Traveller Tips
Walking To and From Pitlochry
If you are walking back up to the hotel from Pitlochry main street along West Moulin Road there is a gate on your right-hand side just after Bonnethill Road.
There are a series of steps which take you up to the hotel. It is quite dark so a torch is a good idea. The handrail has broken in a couple of places and the steps are uneven with a couple missing.
However, it’s still quicker than walking to reception via the route you would take with a car.
You can also walk to the town centre and back via Knockard Road. If walking from the Pitlochry Hydro, walk straight down Knockard Road. At the junction turn right along Well Brae. At the junction turn left into Bonnethill Road and continue down to the junction which will be with the main street in Pitlochry.
Dogs can stay for £10 per night.
When we stayed with our dog in another Coast and Country group hotel we found them very accommodating. They allowed us to eat in the lounge so we could have dinner with our doglet which was lovely.
Pitlochry Hydro Hotel – Video Room Tour
Check out the video below for a quick tour of Room 226. Apologies for the coughing!
Pitlochry Hydro Hotel – Professional Traveller Summary
- The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel is a bit dated and worn in places but it was super handy for attending the Enchanted Forest with an easy walk to the bus pick-up point.
- The free parking was handy, especially given all the parking restrictions in Pitlochry for the Enchanted Forest.
- The room was clean and comfortable and the staff were friendly.
- Check was anytime from 8 am to 10 am with check-in from 3 pm.
Find A Great Online Price for the Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
Find Hotel Deals in The Area Quickly with Map View
Check Out These Great Hotel Deals in the Area
If you have found my review of the Pitlochry Hydro Hotel useful you might also like;
The Scottish Highlands – all you need to know
Highland Hotel Review including video room tour (part of same hotel group)
Enchanted Forest – First Time Visit Review with Helpful Tips
For more trip ideas check out my Travel Inspiration page
Other Articles You Might Like
- Pitlochry Hydro Hotel – Video Room Review and Helpful TipsAre you thinking of visiting Pitlochry? Looking for somewhere to stay that has free parking but is within easy reach of the High Street? Looking for somewhere with a pool and spa facilities, restaurant and lift? The Pitlochry Hydro has all of those things, alongwith a bar and a pool room and a couple of… Read More »Pitlochry Hydro Hotel – Video Room Review and Helpful Tips
- Enchanted Forest – First Time Visit Review & Helpful TipsAre you planning a visit to the Enchanted Forest? The Daily Record described the Enchanted Forest as a “mesmerizing underwater voyage of discovery” After our visit, I would say that’s a very accurate description. Read on to learn everything you need to know to plan your trip in 2024. Enchanted Forest – Summary of Visit… Read More »Enchanted Forest – First Time Visit Review & Helpful Tips
- Days Inn Lockerbie Review and Helpful Tips for Your StayThinking of staying at the Days Inn Lockerbie? It’s a handy location right beside the M74. There is free parking at the front of the hotel and a lovely duck pond and green area to the rear. The hotel is right beside the service area which has a restaurant, McDonalds, breakfast takeaway and shop selling… Read More »Days Inn Lockerbie Review and Helpful Tips for Your Stay
- Cairn Hotel Bathgate Review and Helpful Things to KnowClick to get the best price for your stay at the Cairn Hotel Bathgate 1. Cairn Hotel Bathgate Address The address of the hotel is; Blackburn Road, Bathgate, EH48 2EL 2. Cairn Hotel Bathgate Phone Number The telephone number of the hotel is; 01506 633366 3. Getting to the Cairn Hotel Getting to the hotel… Read More »Cairn Hotel Bathgate Review and Helpful Things to Know
- Travelodge Central Edinburgh Review And Helpful Things to KnowClick to get the best price for your stay at the Travelodge Central Edinburgh 1. Travelodge Central Edinburgh Address The address of the hotel is; 33 St Marys Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1TA 2. Phone Number The telephone number of the hotel is; 0871 984 6137 3. Getting from Waverley Station to the Hotel The easiest… Read More »Travelodge Central Edinburgh Review And Helpful Things to Know
- Holyrood Hotel Review and Helpful Things to KnowClick below to quickly find the best price for your stay at the Holyrood Hotel 1. Holyrood Hotel Address The address of the Holyrood Hotel is; 81 Holyrood Hotel, Edinburgh, EH8 8AU 2. Phone Number The telephone number of the hotel is; 0131 528 8000 3. Getting from Edinburgh Waverley Station to the Holyrood Hotel… Read More »Holyrood Hotel Review and Helpful Things to Know
- Lerwick Hotel Review and Helpful Things to KnowClick to get the best price for your stay at the Lerwick Hotel 1. Lerwick Hotel Address The address of the Lerwick Hotel is; 15 South Road, Lerwick, Shetland, ZE1 0PX 2. Phone Number The telephone number of the hotel is; +44 (1595) 692166 3. Getting from Sumburgh Airport to the Lerwick Hotel It is… Read More »Lerwick Hotel Review and Helpful Things to Know
- Visit Shetland – A Stunning Destination Any Time of the YearPlanning to Visit Shetland? Shetland is an amazing place to visit. It is very different from the rest of Scotland. It has its own very distinct culture, language, food, landscape, and history. There is a great deal to see and enjoy when visiting. Visit Shetland 2. Where Do You Fly From to Get To Shetland? There… Read More »Visit Shetland – A Stunning Destination Any Time of the Year
- Alicante Holiday – All You Need to Know to Plan Your TripThinking of an Alicante holiday? You should it’s a great destination that offers great value too. Alicante is a coastal and port town located on the South Coast of Spain. It is in the Costa Blanca area, which refers to the coastline and it’s a popular tourist destination. It has a population of around 350,000… Read More »Alicante Holiday – All You Need to Know to Plan Your Trip