Are you looking for a great Newton Stewart holiday cottage?
Well check out this little gem, Minnow Cottage. It’s a great choice because;
- It’s right beside the River Cree and the river runs past all the rooms – it’s gorgeous
- It’s dog friendly (although there is limited space at the cottage outside for dogs)
- There is a wonderful log burner inside the cottage
- The cottage is cosy and comfortable with adjustable electric heaters
- It is easy to walk into the lovely town of Newton Stewart from the cottage
- There is parking right outside the cottage
- The neighbours are very friendly
Read on to check out my review of Minnow Cottage
Week Long Stay in Newton Stewart Holiday Cottage with 2 Dogs
In November 2020 I spent a lovely week in a Newton Stewart holiday cottage called Minnow Cottage, a one bedroom cottage bungalow set right beside the River Cree, so close it was almost in the River Cree actually!
Newton Stewart is a lovely part of Dumfries and Galloway with Wigtown on the doorstep plus the most Southerly point in Scotland, the Mull of Galloway not far away. There is plenty to see and do nearby.
Check out this review of my week long Newton Stewart holiday cottage stay including things to do in the area and a video tour of my super cute Newton Stewart holiday cottage.
2. The Town Itself
Newton Stewart is a market town with a traditional high street, set alongside the banks of the River Cree. It has a population of 3,500 people.
The town itself has a good selection of independent shops including a gift shop, wool shop, home hardware, newsagents, convenience stores, two banks, two launderettes, two filling stations, a clothing shop, and several cafes.
There are also two larger supermarkets – a Sainsbury and an Aldi store.
The town is close to the Galloway Forest Park and also close to the coast.
Check out my detailed review of Newton Stewart including things to do
3. Newton Stewart Holiday Cottage – Minnow Cottage
Minnow Cottage is a one bedroomed holiday cottage Newton Stewart set right beside the River Cree. It is located in Reid Terrace and has parking for one car outside in the shared parking area.
The main room has a wood burning stove in it and there was a small supply of logs on arrival. There is a very large picture window with a fantastic view of the River Cree. There is a small table for 2 people located in the main room as well.
The lounge has a TV that has Netflix and Freeview TV channels. There are also a selection of DVDs and books for guests.
The heating is provided by oil filled radiators powered by the solar energy panels on the roof. They have a timer that can be adjusted to suit.
It’s hard to get a sense of how close to the river this Newton Stewart holiday cottage actually is just from photos, from the video you can see much better. It was so close it was almost in the river.
I particularly enjoyed watching the river levels change and noticing the changing sound of the River too.
- The bedroom has a double bed that sits in a built in unit with wardrobes on either side of the bed, bedside tables, and cupboards over.
- There is a great view of the river from the bed and another oil filled radiator.
- The kitchen has an induction hob with double cooker underneath.
- There is a freezer and fridge in the kitchen and a double butler sink that looks over the river.
- The kitchen has a plinth heater which warms the room up quickly.
- There is also a microwave.
- There is an electric shower.
- The heat comes from a fan heater and a heated towel rail.
- There is a vanity unit with a built-in washbasin.
4. Newton Stewart Holiday Cottage Stewart Video Review
Check out my video review of this fabulous Newton Stewart holiday cottage, Minnow Cottage below.
5. Newton Stewart Holiday Cottage – Summary
- Minnow Cottage was a fabulous stay for me and my two tiny dachshund dogs
- The cottage was the perfect escape
- I loved the ever-changing views of the river and the ever-changing sound
- The wood burner was amazing and made for cosy evenings
- Newton Stewart was a lovely village with some nice shops and cafes
- It was great being able to adjust the heating to suit my needs myself
6. Newton Stewart Holiday Cottage – Pros and Cons
- Fabulous location with river views from nearly every room
- Easy walk into the town centre
- Wonderful log burner which gave out plenty of heat
- The garden area was a very small patio area, ideal for smaller dogs but perhaps not larger ones or ones that might jump over the wall
7. Minnow Cottage Booking
You can book Minnow Cottage by contacting the owners directly through their website
8. Looking for a Newton Stewart Holiday Cottage?
Check out some fab holiday cottages available in the area including;
- 1 Bedroom Cottage
- Dog Friendly
- Amazing views
- Dog friendly
- Single storey
- 2 bedrooms
- Two bedrooms
- Open plan
- Hot Tub
If you have found this Newton Stewart holiday cottage article useful then check out my week long stay in a cracking Forres Self Catering cottage which was wonderful too.
Check out my guide to Newton Stewart – it’s a great little town with plenty to do in the surrounding area
Find more travel ideas on my Travel Inspiration page
- Days Inn Lockerbie Review and Helpful Things to Know 🛏Click to get the best price for your stay at the Days Inn Lockerbie 1. Days Inn Lockerbie Address The address of the hotel is; Roadchef Annandale Water, Lockerbie, DG11 1HD 2. Days Inn Phone Number The telephone number of the hotel is; 0844 225 0789 3. Getting to the Days Inn Lockerbie Days Inn … Read more
- Cairn Hotel Bathgate Review and Helpful Things to Know 🛏Click to get the best price for your stay at the Cairn Hotel Bathgate 1. Cairn Hotel Bathgate Address The address of the hotel is; Blackburn Road, Bathgate, EH48 2EL 2. Cairn Hotel Bathgate Phone Number The telephone number of the hotel is; 01506 633366 3. Getting to the Cairn Hotel Getting to the hotel … Read more
- Travelodge Central Edinburgh Review And Helpful Things to Know 🛏Click to get the best price for your stay at the Travelodge Central Edinburgh 1. Travelodge Central Edinburgh Address The address of the hotel is; 33 St Marys Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1TA 2. Phone Number The telephone number of the hotel is; 0871 984 6137 3. Getting from Waverley Station to the Hotel The easiest … Read more
- Holyrood Hotel Review and Helpful Things to Know 🛏Click below to quickly find the best price for your stay at the Holyrood Hotel 1. Holyrood Hotel Address The address of the Holyrood Hotel is; 81 Holyrood Hotel, Edinburgh, EH8 8AU 2. Phone Number The telephone number of the hotel is; 0131 528 8000 3. Getting from Edinburgh Waverley Station to the Holyrood Hotel … Read more
- Lerwick Hotel Review and Helpful Things to Know 🛏Click to get the best price for your stay at the Lerwick Hotel 1. Lerwick Hotel Address The address of the Lerwick Hotel is; 15 South Road, Lerwick, Shetland, ZE1 0PX 2. Phone Number The telephone number of the hotel is; +44 (1595) 692166 3. Getting from Sumburgh Airport to the Lerwick Hotel It is … Read more
- Visit Shetland – A Stunning Destination Any Time of the YearPlanning to Visit Shetland? Shetland is an amazing place to visit. It is very different from the rest of Scotland. It has its own very distinct culture, language, food, landscape, and history. There is a great deal to see and enjoy when visiting. Visit Shetland 2. Where Do You Fly From to Get To Shetland? There … Read more
- Alicante Holiday – All You Need to Know to Plan Your Trip 🇪🇸Thinking of an Alicante holiday? You should it’s a great destination that offers great value too. Alicante is a coastal and port town located on the South Coast of Spain. It is in the Costa Blanca area, which refers to the coastline and it’s a popular tourist destination. It has a population of around 350,000 … Read more
- Algarve Holiday – All You Need to Know to Plan Your Trip 🇵🇹Are you planning an Algarve holiday? You should – it’s a wonderful destination. The Algarve is located along the Southern edge of Portugal. It has a fabulous coastline, huge sandy beaches, great places to visit and it’s very easy to travel to from UK. The Algarve is suitable for family holidays, solo trips, golfing holidays, … Read more
- 6 Handpicked Hotels in Riga – From Budget to Luxury 🇱🇻Looking for Hotels In Riga? Wondering where to stay? Check out this guide and find your perfect stay from these hotels in Riga. Hotels in Riga – Airport Hotels If you need to stay close to the airport then you have two choices – the Sky High Hotel or the Hampton by Hilton. Hotels in … Read more