Do you want to know about Gatwick Airport facilities?
Are you staying over?
Well, it’s a lovely airport with great facilities so check out my guide to help you plan your trip.
What Facilities Are At Gatwick Airport?
Gatwick Airport Facilities
1 – Onsite Hotels
Nothing makes catching a flight that requires an overnight stay easier than staying at the airport itself. I always prefer to stay as close to the airport as possible when a flight needs an overnight stay. Gatwick Airport has 3 hotels on site;
- The Sofitel is connected to the North Terminal by a covered corridor and it’s my favourite on site hotel. (Check out my review of the Sofitel London Gatwick)
- The Bloc Hotel is next to the departures area in the South Terminal – I’ve stayed for a family trip and for day use on a long layover. I really like the rooms without windows for layovers. (Check out my review of Cheap Hotels Near Gatwick which includes the Bloc)
- Yotelair is right beneath your feet in the South Terminal as it underground – there is a lift beside the arrivals area.
- Hampton by Hilton is connected to the North Terminal.
- The Hilton London Gatwick is connected to the South Terminal.
Gatwick Airport Facilities
2 – On Campus Hotels
There are also hotels on the Gatwick Airport site within a very short walking distance of the airport including the Premier Inn and the Courtyard by Marriott.
The Courtyard by Marriott is around a 10 minute walk from the terminal building and it’s quite a quiet hotel with some greenery around it, which is a nice contrast to the airport.
(Check out my review of Cheap Hotels near Gatwick Airport)
Find deals at onsite and on campus Gatwick hotels below;
Gatwick Airport Facilities
3 – Easy Shuttle Between Terminals
It is very easy to get between the North and South Terminal on the shuttle. These run frequently at all times and the transfer takes about 3-4 minutes. I have never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a shuttle meaning transfer times are a doddle between the two terminals.
Gatwick Airport Facilities
4 – Marks and Spencer’s Food Shop On Site
I don’t know about you but if I have been away eating group meals for a week or two it is nice to have a change and enjoy an ‘in room buffet’ as I like to call it. It’s very handy when arriving and staying nearby to pop into the Marks and Spencers and get a nice salad etc to enjoy something to eat in your room.
They have a good selection of food and drink including sandwiches, snacks, drinks, pastries, breakfast items as well as a coffee bar.
Gatwick Airport Facilities
5 – Family Friendly Security (with lanyards) and Fast Track Security
Going through security is an essential part of flying of course but it is often not that enjoyable with instructions being barked at you by security personnel as people watch you undress or unload all your personal belongings into the trays. If you have children or are travelling with children with additional needs the family friendly security lane is a much quieter and calmer option.
My nephew has autism and having been given a lanyard at the check in desk he was treated in a friendly and calm way by the security personnel throughout his time at the airport. The lanyard is a discreet way to tell staff that the young person has additional needs, whether those staff are in the airport or on the plane.
Gatwick also has Fast Track Security which you can buy as an extra when booking flights or when booking parking/lounge access. If you have Easyjetplus Fast Track Security at Gatwick is included and I have to say I enjoy the quieter and calmer experience as a result – anything to help reduce my pre flight nerves.
Gatwick Airport Facilities
6 – Wagamama
Yes, there are plenty of options for places to eat at Gatwick Airport including a Wetherspoons, some interesting little bars, sushi and much more. However, for a plant based eater like me Wagamama is heaven as they have a great vegan menu. I love the Yasai Katsu curry which is pieces of vegetable cooked in breadcrumbs with a katsu curry sauce, sticky rice and a delicious salad dressing. I also find the staff very helpful here. If you need a charging point for a phone just ask and they will sit your near a plug socket. Green tea is also free 🙂
If you want to check out the menu at Wagamama you can find it here.
Gatwick Airport Facilities
7 – Dayrooms for Layovers
Having to spend hours at an airport (unless it is somewhere like Singapore or Schiphol) is not my idea of fun. If the layover is 3-4 hours then I will use the lounge but if it is longer then I prefer to have a dayroom so I can perhaps grab some sleep, have a shower etc before I travel onwards.
Yotelair cabins are bookable in 4 hourly slots so and they are in the South Terminal. I have used the superior cabins for layovers and they were great with super comfy beds. The Bloc Hotel has a great location in the South Terminal too and for layovers I prefer the rooms without windows if I am planning to sleep.
The Sofitel also does dayuse rooms and while these rooms are lovely they can be quite expensive and if they face directly onto the atrium they can experience a bit of noise.
For dayrooms I use Dayuse. The rates good and have stayed at the Bloc and the Sofitel during the day on long layovers.
Gatwick Airport Facilities
8 – The Number 1 Lounge
This comes with a bit of a caveat. I like this lounge, which I use with my Priority Pass card but I generally prefer it when it is slightly more out of hours. At peak times this lounge can be very busy and as a result quite noisy. I do like the fact that the library area is for adults only i.e. no kids, which can help with the noise levels. There are toilets near the bar area, good views over the runways and airport area.
There are also some nice working desks, plenty of sockets for charging devices and generally a good selection of hot and cold drinks plus a bar service. There is a small movie area, albeit I have never watched one there. As expected there is free WIFI and a big screen which made for a very pleasant afternoon watching an England qualifying football match with a random group of travellers.
(Check out my Airport Lounge Pass guide and find the cheapest way for you to access an airport lounge)
Gatwick Airport Facilities
9 – Aspire Lounge and My Lounge
Often overlooked is the Aspire Lounge which isn’t quite a lush as the Number 1 Lounge but it is often much quieter. This is located down one level from the Number 1 Lounge in the South Terminal. The food and drink selection isn’t as big but the quieter atmosphere can more than make up for that when it is busy. You can use your Priority Pass card to access this lounge. There is also a My Lounge which is more like a cafe type layout and in the North Terminal you can use your Priority Pass card, or just pay for entry in the South Terminal.
(Check out my airport lounge membership comparison and find the best membership option for you)
Gatwick Airport Facilities
10 – Easy Access to London with Oyster Card Payment Option
The railway station is in the main building of the Gatwick South Terminal so it is very easy. Trains run regularly through the day into London. It can be quite busy with lots of visitors buying tickets. If you have an Oyster Card for ticketless travel in London you don’t have to buy tickets in advance or queue, just tap your Oyster card at the entry readers and head straight through.
This makes train connections easy. If you don’t have an Oyster Card but you do have contactless payment on your credit or debit card you can use this top tap through, getting the discounted rate for travel as well. One train I avoid is the Gatwick Express – I just think it is overpricked in relation to non express versions!
- Gatwick is an easy airport to use with a good selection of accommodation options for all budgets. The facilities are good and getting between the terminals is easy.
- Security is generally quick and quite painless.
- Getting to London is super simple and the Oyster card or contactless means no faffing buying tickets.
Gatwick Airport FAQs
Can You Walk from Travelodge to Gatwick Airport?
Some travellers have advised you can walk the route in around 15-20 minutes by taking a foobridge over the River Mole from the rear car park at the Travelodge Central Gatwick Airport. However, the route is not suitable for those with large cases. There is however a hotel Hoppa bus which you can take for a small charge. Walking on the main road, the A23, is not recommended.
How Far Is Travelodge from Gatwick Airport?
It is 1.6 miles from the Travelodge Central to the South Terminal at Gatwick Airport
Want to Stay at or Near Gatwick Airport?
Check out hotel prices in the area with this map view.
If you have found this 10 Reasons to Love Gatwick Airport article useful then you might like my article on Cheap Hotels Near Gatwick useful.
If you are interested in airport lounge access then check out my guide to how to find the cheapest airport lounge pass.
If you want more travel ideas check out my Travel Inspiration page
- Pitlochry Hydro Hotel – Video Room Review and Helpful TipsAre you thinking of visiting Pitlochry? Looking for somewhere to stay that has free parking but is within easy reach of the High Street? Looking for somewhere with a pool and spa facilities, restaurant and lift? The Pitlochry Hydro has all of those things, alongwith a bar and a pool room and a couple of… Read More »Pitlochry Hydro Hotel – Video Room Review and Helpful Tips
- Enchanted Forest – First Time Visit Review & Helpful TipsAre you planning a visit to the Enchanted Forest? The Daily Record described the Enchanted Forest as a “mesmerizing underwater voyage of discovery” After our visit, I would say that’s a very accurate description. Read on to learn everything you need to know to plan your trip in 2024. Enchanted Forest – Summary of Visit… Read More »Enchanted Forest – First Time Visit Review & Helpful Tips
- Days Inn Lockerbie Review and Helpful Tips for Your StayThinking of staying at the Days Inn Lockerbie? It’s a handy location right beside the M74. There is free parking at the front of the hotel and a lovely duck pond and green area to the rear. The hotel is right beside the service area which has a restaurant, McDonalds, breakfast takeaway and shop selling… Read More »Days Inn Lockerbie Review and Helpful Tips for Your Stay
- Cairn Hotel Bathgate Review and Helpful Things to KnowClick to get the best price for your stay at the Cairn Hotel Bathgate 1. Cairn Hotel Bathgate Address The address of the hotel is; Blackburn Road, Bathgate, EH48 2EL 2. Cairn Hotel Bathgate Phone Number The telephone number of the hotel is; 01506 633366 3. Getting to the Cairn Hotel Getting to the hotel… Read More »Cairn Hotel Bathgate Review and Helpful Things to Know
- Travelodge Central Edinburgh Review And Helpful Things to KnowClick to get the best price for your stay at the Travelodge Central Edinburgh 1. Travelodge Central Edinburgh Address The address of the hotel is; 33 St Marys Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1TA 2. Phone Number The telephone number of the hotel is; 0871 984 6137 3. Getting from Waverley Station to the Hotel The easiest… Read More »Travelodge Central Edinburgh Review And Helpful Things to Know
- Holyrood Hotel Review and Helpful Things to KnowClick below to quickly find the best price for your stay at the Holyrood Hotel 1. Holyrood Hotel Address The address of the Holyrood Hotel is; 81 Holyrood Hotel, Edinburgh, EH8 8AU 2. Phone Number The telephone number of the hotel is; 0131 528 8000 3. Getting from Edinburgh Waverley Station to the Holyrood Hotel… Read More »Holyrood Hotel Review and Helpful Things to Know
- Lerwick Hotel Review and Helpful Things to KnowClick to get the best price for your stay at the Lerwick Hotel 1. Lerwick Hotel Address The address of the Lerwick Hotel is; 15 South Road, Lerwick, Shetland, ZE1 0PX 2. Phone Number The telephone number of the hotel is; +44 (1595) 692166 3. Getting from Sumburgh Airport to the Lerwick Hotel It is… Read More »Lerwick Hotel Review and Helpful Things to Know
- Visit Shetland – A Stunning Destination Any Time of the YearPlanning to Visit Shetland? Shetland is an amazing place to visit. It is very different from the rest of Scotland. It has its own very distinct culture, language, food, landscape, and history. There is a great deal to see and enjoy when visiting. Visit Shetland 2. Where Do You Fly From to Get To Shetland? There… Read More »Visit Shetland – A Stunning Destination Any Time of the Year
- Alicante Holiday – All You Need to Know to Plan Your TripThinking of an Alicante holiday? You should it’s a great destination that offers great value too. Alicante is a coastal and port town located on the South Coast of Spain. It is in the Costa Blanca area, which refers to the coastline and it’s a popular tourist destination. It has a population of around 350,000… Read More »Alicante Holiday – All You Need to Know to Plan Your Trip
- Algarve Holiday – All You Need to Know to Plan Your TripAre you planning an Algarve holiday? You should – it’s a wonderful destination. The Algarve is located along the Southern edge of Portugal. It has a fabulous coastline, huge sandy beaches, great places to visit and it’s very easy to travel to from UK. The Algarve is suitable for family holidays, solo trips, golfing holidays,… Read More »Algarve Holiday – All You Need to Know to Plan Your Trip
- 6 Shetland Hotels Reviewed – Find Your Ideal Stay EasilyLooking to travel to Shetland? Want to know about Shetland Hotels? Here is my guide to 6 hotels that I have stayed in when visiting Shetland. Shetland Hotels Shetland Hotels The Lerwick Hotel, Lerwick Set just on the edge of Lerwick the Lerwick Hotel is set on a hill on the coast looking across to… Read More »6 Shetland Hotels Reviewed – Find Your Ideal Stay Easily
- 6 Handpicked Hotels in Riga – From Budget to LuxuryLooking for Hotels In Riga? Wondering where to stay? Check out this guide and find your perfect stay from these hotels in Riga. Hotels in Riga – Airport Hotels If you need to stay close to the airport then you have two choices – the Sky High Hotel or the Hampton by Hilton. Hotels in… Read More »6 Handpicked Hotels in Riga – From Budget to Luxury
- 5 Interesting Things to Do in Riga – Plus How to Get AroundPlanning on visiting Riga? Read on for some ideas of things to do in Riga, including a couple of free and a couple of paid options. There are also a couple of restaurant recommendations too. Riga public transport is really great value so keep reading to find out how to use it to get around.… Read More »5 Interesting Things to Do in Riga – Plus How to Get Around
- 9 Memorable and Fun Things to Do in ValenciaAre you planning a visit to Valencia? It’s an amazing city that is well worth it. It is easy to explore, friendly and welcoming, with great food and drink. There are some great things to do in Valencia, everything from a crazy Spring festival to stunning architecture. Check out my top 9 things to do… Read More »9 Memorable and Fun Things to Do in Valencia
- 10 Reasons to Stay at the Lovely Busta House HotelI am lucky enough to have stayed at the lovely Busta House Hotel a number of times when taking tour groups to Shetland. It’s my favourite hotel on Shetland, and one of my favourite hotels anywhere. Here are 10 reasons you should stay at the Busta House Hotel too. 1. Busta House Hotel is Run… Read More »10 Reasons to Stay at the Lovely Busta House Hotel
- 26 Great Things to Do On Your Shetland HolidayPlanning on visiting Shetland? It’s an amazing place to visit. Here are 26 great things to do on your Shetland holiday. Considering a Shetland holiday? It’s a fantastic place to visit, with its own unique character. There is something about Shetland – whether that’s the people, the scenery, the wildlife, or the weather. It gets… Read More »26 Great Things to Do On Your Shetland Holiday
- Campanile Glasgow – Helpful Things to Know Before You StayLooking to stay at the Campanile Glasgow? Check out this review, including a video room tour of a twin room, plus some helpful information if you are going to an event at the OVO arena. Campanile Glasgow – Find the Best Price Online Want to find the best price for the Campanile Glasgow super quickly?… Read More »Campanile Glasgow – Helpful Things to Know Before You Stay
- Point A Hotel Shoreditch Review – Helpful Things to KnowLooking to stay at the Point A Hotel Shoreditch? Check out this review, including a video room tour of a cosy double room. Cost of Stay – 2 Nights in January 2023 for 2 people – £198. That does not include breakfast. Point A Hotel Shoreditch – Find the Best Price Online Want to find… Read More »Point A Hotel Shoreditch Review – Helpful Things to Know
- Monte Gordo Review – Helpful Hints and Tips For YouMonte Gordo is a beach resort at the Eastern end of the Algarve and very close to the Spanish border. Monte Gordo – Summary of Visit 1 = Poor, 5 = Excellent Comments Personal Safety 5 Felt safe walking everywhere Cleanliness 4 Scenery 5 Beautiful beach Friendly People 5 Very friendly welcome & departure Weather… Read More »Monte Gordo Review – Helpful Hints and Tips For You
- Newton Stewart – A Really Great Town With Lots To Do NearbyLooking for a great town in Dumfries and Galloway to visit, with plenty to do in the surrounding area. Newton Stewart is a pretty little town located alongside the River Cree. Check out my guide to this lovely riverside town and get planning your visit. 1. Newton Stewart – What’s In the Town There are… Read More »Newton Stewart – A Really Great Town With Lots To Do Nearby
- Baku Holiday Review – Helpful Hints and Tips For YouNestled at the crossroads of Europe and Asia, Baku beckons intrepid travelers with its unique blend of ancient heritage and modern grandeur. As the vibrant capital of Azerbaijan, Baku is a city that tantalizes the senses, where futuristic skyscrapers stand in harmony with historic palaces, and bustling bazaars intermingle with high-end boutiques. A Baku holiday… Read More »Baku Holiday Review – Helpful Hints and Tips For You
- Valencia City Break – Helpful Things To Know Before You BookWhether you’re a history enthusiast, a gastronomic explorer, an architecture aficionado, or simply seeking relaxation on pristine shores, Valencia has something extraordinary to offer. Read on to discover why a Valencia city break should be at the top of your travel wish list. Considering a Valencia city break? Check out everything you need to know… Read More »Valencia City Break – Helpful Things To Know Before You Book
- Riga City Break Review – Helpful Hints and Tips For YouRiga is a fantastic place to visit. It’s easy to get to, affordable and has lots of attractions. There is everything from great museums to interesting architecture and the largest food market in Europe. Read on for everything you need to know about visiting this diverse city. Riga City Break – Summary of Visit 1… Read More »Riga City Break Review – Helpful Hints and Tips For You
- Southerness Self Catering Review – Dog Friendly 2 Bed ChaletAre you planning a Southerness self catering holiday? Check out this review based on a 1 week stay in Southerness in November 2021. It’s got all the information you need to plan your visit. 1. Southerness Self Catering – Getting To Southerness Southerness is a coastal village located south of Dumfries. It is about 25… Read More »Southerness Self Catering Review – Dog Friendly 2 Bed Chalet
- 11 Southerness Things To Do – Cute Cafes & Great WildlifeLooking for things to do in Southerness? It’s a great spot for exploring the Argyll and Bute coastline. Check out this guide to Southerness things to do for some ideas of places to go and things to do. Southerness Things to Do 11 Great Southerness Things to Do We loved the dog-friendly cafes, seeing Red… Read More »11 Southerness Things To Do – Cute Cafes & Great Wildlife
- The Bank House Uttoxeter Review – Helpful Things to KnowAre you looking for a hotel in Uttoxeter? Check out this review including a video tour of the Bank House Uttoxeter. It’s definitely a bit quirky! Click below to find the best prices available online; 1. The Bank House Uttoxeter: Address and Telephone Number The Bank House Uttoxeter Address; Church St, Uttoxeter ST14 8AG The… Read More »The Bank House Uttoxeter Review – Helpful Things to Know
- Threave Gardens Review – Helpful Things to KnowCheck out this review of Threave Gardens with all you need to know to plan your visit. 1. Threave Gardens Location The first thing to mention is that there are two locations that might be easily confused. Threave Gardens is owned by the National Trust and is located separately from Threave Castle which is owned… Read More »Threave Gardens Review – Helpful Things to Know
- Holiday Inn Luton Airport Review – Helpful Things to KnowLooking for a hotel that is within walking distance of Luton Airport? Check out this review of a one night stay including a video room tour at the Holiday Inn Luton Airport. 1. Holiday Inn Luton Address The address of the Holiday Inn Luton is; London Luton Airport, Airport Way, Luton LU2 9LF 2. Holiday… Read More »Holiday Inn Luton Airport Review – Helpful Things to Know
- Sleeperz Dundee Review – Helpful Things to KnowCheck out this review of Sleeperz Dundee, including a video tour of a room, to see if it’s your perfect stay. You can also find great hotel prices for the whole of the Dundee area quickly! 1. Sleeperz Dundee Address Sleeperz Dundee Address: 2 S Union St, Dundee DD1 4BF 2. Sleeperz Dundee Phone Number… Read More »Sleeperz Dundee Review – Helpful Things to Know
- Jurys Inn Aberdeen Review – Helpful Things to KnowLooking for somewhere to stay in Aberdeen? The Leonardo Hotel is located right next to the train station and it’s part of the Union Square shopping centre too. It was previously known as the Jurys Hotel. Click below to find the best prices available on the internet; Are you looking for a great hotel in… Read More »Jurys Inn Aberdeen Review – Helpful Things to Know
- Hilton Aberdeen TECA Review – Helpful Things Before You BookHeading to an event at the Aberdeen TECA? Check out this real guest review of the Hilton Aberdeen TECA. It’s got everything you need to know about staying at the hotel, plus what hotels are nearby. It also includes a video room tour. Check out this review, including a video tour of a bedroom, from… Read More »Hilton Aberdeen TECA Review – Helpful Things Before You Book
- Lonsdale House Bowness – A Fab Self Catering PropertyAre you looking for somewhere to stay in Bowness on Windemere? If so check out this review of Lonsdale House Bowness, a great hotel located just at the top of the main street in Bowness, within easy reach of all the attractions. 2023 Update Lonsdale House is now a holiday let. They have kept all… Read More »Lonsdale House Bowness – A Fab Self Catering Property
- Hotel Sol E Mar Albufeira Review – Great Hotel & LocationAre you looking for a great hotel in Albufeira? Right on the beach? With great facilities? Well fab. You are in the right place. Check out my review of a the 4 Star Hotel Sol E Mar Albufeira. 1. Hotel Sol E Mar Albufeira – Location The Sol E Mar is located in Albufeira. This… Read More »Hotel Sol E Mar Albufeira Review – Great Hotel & Location
- Vidamar Resort Algarve Review – Helpful Things To KnowAre you looking for a great resort styled hotel with everything in one place? Then check out my review of a 3 night stay at the Vidamar Resort Algarve. It’s a lovely hotel, with great rooms, plus spa facilities, beach access and a choice of restaurants. 1. Vidamar Resort Algarve – Address The address of… Read More »Vidamar Resort Algarve Review – Helpful Things To Know
- Vilamoura Holiday Review – Helpful Hints and Tips For YouVilamoura is a lovely holiday resort set in the beautiful Algarve region of Portugal. Not only does it have lovely beaches, it also has lots of green areas, golf courses, great hotels and a marina. It’s a little less crowded and busy than it’s near neighbour Albufeira. It still has plenty to offer holidaymakers so… Read More »Vilamoura Holiday Review – Helpful Hints and Tips For You
- Village Hotel Solihull Review – Helpful Things to KnowAre you looking to stay in Solihull, near Birmingham airport? Check out the Village Hotel Solihull. It’s a resort based hotel with a pool, gym, coffee shop and restuarant. Looking to stay at the Village Hotel Solihull? It’s in a great location for Birmingham airport and has a restaurant, coffee shop, gym, and spa as… Read More »Village Hotel Solihull Review – Helpful Things to Know
- Ibis Birmingham New Street Review – Helpful Things to KnowLooking to stay at the Ibis Birmingham New Street? This hotel is close to the station, directly across from the Chinese Quarter, the markets and the city centre attractions. Check out this review including a video room tour. Ibis Birmingham New Street – A Great City Centre Hotel Are you looking for a hotel within… Read More »Ibis Birmingham New Street Review – Helpful Things to Know